More randomness in QB's?

The additional randomness added to the QB in ver 1.03 was very welcome but I wonder why the 'Type' of force can not also be 'randomized'. It would be nice to have the possibilty of facing a totally unknown enemy.

In addition, having mixed 'quality' for each side, chosen randomly, would also add another dimension to play i.e. green infantry backed by regular armour and supported by veteran artillery, etc.

Perhaps the randomness could even be expanded to include the map type,tree coverage and hilliness.

Cheers

Jim

I do like the idea of increasing the possible randomness but I think you would need to have reservations re the map/Force- type combination. Totally random choice could well give you terrain (eg v heavily wooded ) and a totally armoured force of tanks etc with no routes through the terrain

With a random choice of force type i think you would need to ensure a mixed terrain through which any force could operate in some way.

A certain amount of randomness is good to keep things unpredictable, but past a certain point more randomness means a greater chance of one side being severly disadvantaged. This, I think, would happen a fair amount with random force types.

Good points.

However sometimes having skewed sides, with one badly disadvantaged, reflects the reality of many battles. And the choice of randomness is up to the user.

One aspect where randomness does not work too well in QB's, is in the choice of British tanks when Armor is chosen. Quite often mixed types of MBT are picked (sherman and churchill) which simply did not happen at CM's level. British tanks were employed in Brigades which were equiped with the same type of tank. The only other tank types likely to be on the same battlefield were the light recon. tanks (stuarts) or medium tanks from recon.regiments (cromwells)

This may apply to some extent to German units as well, although they tended more towards the use of ad-hoc kampfe gruppes.

Not sure if this affects US units much, as most of the tanks would be shermans any way

Cheers

jim