I'm new to wargaming, will I understand this game?

In a funny way, with Combat Mission, you're better off if you've never played a wargame before. Why? Because you won't be forced to "unlearn" a host of clunky game strategies that were drilled into you by games that lack CM's power to visualize a true 3D battlefield. The ability to see from ground level the exact "line-of-sight" of your troops, tanks and guns command when sighting in on an enemy force is the single most revolutionary aspect of this great, great game. When one of your carefully-placed Cromwell tanks is knocked out by a Tiger located on the other side of the battlefield (and one you can barely see from your side's vantage point) because it's sitting in plain sight -- not hull-down -- your mind as a gamer will go through an almost chemical change. Also, CM gives you a real taste of how terrifying interlocking bands of fire from artillery, tanks, machine guns, panzerschrecks and rifles must be for real GI's caught in them on the ground. My advice to anyone playing CM is, "let the game teach you how to play it," instead of the other way around.

------------------

Hey All

Not to steal the thunder of the WWII buffs around here, because they are right! CM does let you get the feel of the war. But it is also a very good abstration of small unit combat. I always get drawn into the simple tacical problems: How do I get a side shot on thet enemy tank; How do I get my squad across this open stretch infront of that MG nest; How do I convince my PBEM opponent to surrender when THEY have the superior firepower and field position... :P

CM is an excellent training ground for these types of tactical problems. If any questions do arise about 'what does this thing do?', or 'how do you make do what it is supposed to do?'. There are lot's of kind and mostly curteous folks around here to answer your questions.

------------------

"What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night Pinkey... We're going to take over Europe!"

Jsoh

most of what everyone else has said here is true: the game is the best you will ever play, many helpful people with lots of very-good answers to tough questions...

what they haven't told you is that all of the code was written by various rodents. scores, nay THOUSANDS of them; chinchillas, hamsters, gerbils...heck even the occasional naked mole rat was strapped to a modified keyboard and forced, coerced and otherwise abused into randomly tapping keys until their little paws were raw. the result after several failed lawsuits filed by the 'people for the ethical treatment of animals' was this game. (come to think of it, even the occasional insectivorous shrew was enlisted in coding...they were mostly involved in the graphics end of things iirc). anyway. not only have all aspects of the military units been exhaustively researched, all code was done at random by small mammals. It is truely a wonder.

Secondly, while there are many kind and helpful humans who like to tap the keyboard with their little rodent friends, there are also some nasty mean trolls who like to say mean things and hurt other people's feelings. Many of these wicked people can be found on what is known as the "Peng Challenge" thread, or more commonly the "Cesspool" MrMeeks was only teasing when he told you to go there. It is a very silly place and probably NOT what you are looking for unless rum, sodomy and the lash are your bag.

Regards

Peng

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.