Nahkampfwaffen?

Hi all,

I'm reading through Jentz's Panzer Truppen vol.2 and I came across a table listing the number of allied tanks claimed to have been knocked out by July 3. One of the causes listed is "Nahkampfwaffen" since my German is limited to bad accents from Hollywood I had to look this up and the definition is close defense weapon. I'm assuming this is an inclusive entry for panzerfausts, shrecks and close assault. Am I correct?

thanks,

John

p.s. For those who are wondering 537 allied tanks were claimed knocked out. On the other hand from 6 June to 8 July the Germans lost 349 assorted StuGs, PzIVs, PzVs, and Pz VIs as total write offs to all causes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Erickson:

Hi all,

I'm reading through Jentz's Panzer Truppen vol.2 and I came across a table listing the number of allied tanks claimed to have been knocked out by July 3. One of the causes listed is "Nahkampfwaffen" since my German is limited to bad accents from Hollywood I had to look this up and the definition is close defense weapon. I'm assuming this is an inclusive entry for panzerfausts, shrecks and close assault. Am I correct?

thanks,

John

p.s. For those who are wondering 537 allied tanks were claimed knocked out. On the other hand from 6 June to 8 July the Germans lost 349 assorted StuGs, PzIVs, PzVs, and Pz VIs as total write offs to all causes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, people can quote production numbers for every German vehicle made but they don't know what Nahkampfwaffen means? smile.gif

John

Oh, I guess I didn't answer your question, did I? I was thinking of the nahverteidigungswaffe, which was mounted on tanks. I'm pretty sure nahkampfswaffen includes panzerfausts and 'schrecks, and assorted explosive charges. The terrain of Normandy was very favorable to the use of these kinds of weapons so it wouldn't surprise me if the Germans scored a lot of tank kills that way.

Cheers,

The Admiral