Canadian pre-Overlord

Search the net for the Dieppe raid and you should get plenty.

Very nasty operation. There's still a lot of bitterness and controversy surrounding the raid in Canada. One book that I have read called Green Beach theorizes that the entire thing was simply a cover-up/diversion so that an Allied radar expert could infiltrate a nearby radar station and look at the technology so that he could acertain how best to jam the German radar.

Even though it was a disaster, Churchill (I think) said that for every life lost in Dieppe, 10 were saved on D-Day due to the lessons learned.

p.

How about this conspiracy theory, then: I've seen it put forth that Operation Jubilee was nothing but a sop for the Soviets. Churchill never intended for the "raid" on Dieppe to succeed --- he merely wished to show Stalin how difficult starting a Second Front would be, so the Soviets would quit carping about it...

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

I've seen it put forth that Operation Jubilee was nothing but a sop for the Soviets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds more like it, I think. Most of the lessons they needed to learn for D-Day they could have learned from Gallipolli. One of them should have been not to undertake something stupid like Dieppe. And Churchill should have known about that, after all that one got him sacked...

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...