Attention Deficit Disorder. Or in this case maybe Ambush Deficit Disorder...

I was pleased when the announcement was made that in the release versions teams and AFV's would be able to use the Ambush command. Seemed reasonable and would add to the tactics available to those units. But my first effort to use Ambush for one of my armored units was a disaster.

Situation was an M18 sitting at the bottom of a gully in a Bulge scenario. Panther up at the top of the hill but not visible yet. I lay an ambush marker at the edge of the crest of the hill maybe 140 m. away, and make sure the Hellcat has it targeted. Hehehe, I think. All lined up and ranged and a good shot at the soft underbelly of the fearsome Panther.

The turn starts and the Hellcat dutifully watches the ambush marker. For about 4 seconds. Then the M18 straightens out its turret, the target line to the marker disappears and it just sits there. Ah-hyuk, ah-hyuk. Not like there's a closer threat or anything. No other target lines, incoming or outgoing. Nothing. Maybe there was a good Glen Miller song coming in on the radio.

The Panther breasts the hill, driving smack dab over the ambush marker and targets the Hellcat. First round misses. The Hellcat gets all excited, swings its turret back, raises the barrel and sends an AT round off into the next province. Whereupon the Panther corrects its aim and blows the Hellcat to the location described in its name.

Mch, my esteemed opponent, you can confirm the outcome, if you can stop laughing so hard you can't click your mouse.

So, ah, what I do wrong? Hunh?

Ah, I've been there too. I feel your pain.

What happened was that when the turret rotated, the TC lost sight to the Ambush marker.

Had the Hellcat been 0.5m further back, no problem, the TC would have seen the marker just fine.

If it had been 0.5m further forward you wouldn't have been able to set the marker 'cause you wouldn't have LOS.

Any clearer?

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.