"Free to place units" OR "Stick to default" ?

From game manual I understand that choosing Stick to Scenario Defaults will make game easier than Free to Place Units. Hovewer to me it seems that Designer knows best how to place units and letting AI do it will make it worse for him. In one of the missions with lot's of PillBoxes as a main goal I chose "Free to Place..." and was able to totally avoid them and then hit from behind with no losses on my side.

So which choice makes game more difficult ?

Depends. A good scenario designer will be able to place units better than the AI. Therefore the scenario will be more difficult. A bad scenario designer will place units worse than the AI. Therefore the scenerio will be easier.

When playing historical scenarios, I always stick to default, just for the realism.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

The problem with 'stick to defaults' is that sometimes the AI disagrees with the preset deployment and proceeds to move its troops around DURING the game, resulting in a slaughter. I have set up scens (Ops actually) and had carefully crafted defense and ambush positions scoped out only to have the AI take its troops and move to the other side of the map.

I'd like to see a 'hold until relieved' toggle in setup that prevents the AI from deciding to move the troops. Of course Morale etc could force them out, but the mass voluntary exodus from all the prepared fighting positions is a bit annoying. smile.gif

Talenn