What's the Logistics Package for, and how do I use it?

Oswald

The logpack is for simulated logistics. You can carry it about on a truck or helo, and if your Resupply Options are set in the right way, you can only resupply units' ammunition if they are near a logpack, and only up to the number of points in the logpack.

The portable and personal bombs serve as a means of simulating things ranging from suicude bombers and car bombs to small nuclear devices, depending on the range you set for them.

You can find other entries on this in the user guide by using the Acrobat Reader "Find" menu item to search on "logistics package".

= = = =

User Guide, Appendix G - Special Units, Special Capabilities. Page G-214

7. Logistics Package.

A transportable, user defined, Logistics Package marker can be added to a scenario by using the Options/Add One Unit menu item. The Logistics Package marker can be used to resupply any unit that is located within 200 meters. The Unit Supply Window is used to access the supply points that are in a Logistics Package. To open the Unit Supply Window click on the Supply button in the Unit Orders Window. When the Supply Window appears, check mark the Logistics Package box. You will then be asked to select a Logistics Package marker from the map that is located within 200 meters of the unit. If the resupply is successful, the logistics marker will be reduced by the number of points taken by the unit. If a logistics marker is reduced to zero supply points it will be automatically deleted. Logistics Package markers can be destroyed by enemy direct and indirect fire.

Hmmm ... I seem to have left the portable and transportable bombs out of the user guide.

Portable and transportable bombs can be added to a scenario by use of the "Options/Add One" unit menu item. The power of the bomb is defined by the user (normally an umpire) when it is created.

A portable bomb can be carried by dismounted personnel and by vehicles. A transportable bomb can only be carried by a vehicle. Bombs are activated by the owning player opening an orders window for the bomb and setting a detonation time. If an umpire opens an orders window for a bomb, the umpire may also specify or change the casualty radius of the bomb.

Bombs have the following attributes ...

A. Bombs do not spot. An exposed bomb marker will be revealed if/while any enemy unit is within 50 meters. A bomb that is being carried by a person or in a vehicle will not be revealed while it is being carried.

B. On map units will not engage enemy bomb markers with direct fire. Bombs may be coincidentally disabled or destroyed by indirect fire. An umpire can remove a bomb by using the "Options/Delete Units" menu item or the "Options/Kill Units" menu item. A US EOD/UXO Team or a Civilian EOD/UXO Team can disarm portable and transportable bombs. The unit is ordered to attempt to disarm a bomb by using a button in its unit orders window. There is a slight chance that an EOD unit disarm attempt will detonate the bomb. Disarming will take from five to ten minutes and the player will

not know the exact time that will be required.

C. The power of a bomb marker is defined by its casualty radius. The casualty radius is defined at the instant of the bomb’s addition to the game. An umpire may also change the casualty radius of a bomb at any time. A bomb should not be given a casualty radius larger than 100 to 200 meters unless it is equivalent to a nuclear device. The special bomb markers are not really intended to represent nuclear devices but the following casualty radii are suggested if the user wants a gross approximation of the blast effects of a nuclear device: .5 kiloton - 600 meters, 1 kiloton - 700 meters, 2 kiloton - 900 meters, 5 kiloton - 1000 meters, 10 kiloton - 1100 meters. Note that crater effect, blowdown, fire, and radiation will not be represented when the bomb detonates.

D. Armored vehicles located within the first 12.5% of a bomb’s casualty radius will be automatically destroyed. The risk to armored vehicles then declines linearly to zero at 50% of the bomb’s casualty radius.

E. Dismounted personnel in entrenchments within the first 12.5% of a bomb’s casualty radius will be automatically destroyed. The risk to dismounted personnel in entrenchments then declines linearly to zero at 50% of the bomb’s casualty radius.

F. Unarmored vehicles located within the first 25% of a bomb’s casualty radius will be automatically destroyed. The risk to unarmored vehicles then declines linearly to zero at the bomb’s maximum casualty radius.

G. Dismounted exposed personnel within the first 50% of a bomb’s casualty radius will be automatically destroyed. The risk to exposed dismounted personnel then declines linearly to zero at the bomb’s maximum casualty radius.

H. All surviving units located anywhere within the bomb’s casualty radius will be suppressed.

Portable and transportable bombs can be added to a scenario by use of the "Options/Add One" unit menu item. The power of the bomb is defined by the user (normally an umpire) when it is created.
Now this would really spice up DeGoey and counter terrorist raid scenarios, Fenwick/Marks. Deploy them to represent either booby traps or terrorist nukes.

I feel another sleepless night ahead ;)

Originally posted by Oswald:

I was kinda futzin' around with [transportable bombs] today, and thought that if you were at least simulating air superiority, you could use them as a stand-in for a BLU-82 Daisy Cutter.

How did you use them as booby-traps, though? Did you set them at a particular time?

Oswald

I think you'd have to have a human opponent to use it as a booby trap. The owning player would have to determine the most advantageous time to set off the charge.

What I did try last night was bridge demolition. I built an anti-tank ditch, put a load-class 70 umpire emplaced bridge over it, and put transportable bomb on that with a 300M damage radius. The bridge worked fine, until the bomb went off, then it went "poof" and only the ditch was left.

Since adding a ditch overwrites the underlying terrain, I bet this would be an effective way to simulate siezing a bridge that your opponent was trying to blow. I still need to play with it to work out the details.

[ September 29, 2002, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Coyote ]

What I did try last night was bridge demolition. I built an anti-tank ditch, put a load-class 70 umpire emplaced bridge over it, and put transportable bomb on that with a 300M damage radius. The bridge worked fine, until the bomb went off, then it went "poof" and only the ditch was left.
Update - It didn't quite work the way I planned.

Putting a ditch in the middle of an on-map bridge effectively cuts the bridge, but . . .

When I used an AVLB to cross the ditch, the ditch remained "breached" when the bomb blew the bridge up.

When I put an Umpire/Engineering tool bridge over the ditch, the ditch took precedence and vehicles would not cross it.

I'm still playing with all of the new tools.