Major error on TGN CM HQ's screenshots

Hate to be a grognard about this, but in the Max Molinaro gallery of TGN's CM HQ's screenshot section, what Madmatt inaccurately (although quite humorously) referred to as the "unpopular M4A7 Zippo" variant of the Sherman, is actually the M4B8 Ronson. This beast was actually quite popular with tank crews as it allowed an extreme LOS for the commander and could go without refueling for over 2,000 hours. It was the first Sherman to go non-stop from Paris to Frankfurt, and saw work after the war as a mobile billboard. The only real drawback to this excellent vehicle was its somewhat high profile and reputed flammability (which, to be fair, was a problem shared by all Shermans). The high profile problem was easily worked around; M4B8 Ronsons achieved hull-down status by moving behind three to four-story buildings or small mountains.

------------------

Max Molinaro

[This message has been edited by maxm2 (edited 01-17-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Just a nitpick here. Brits (and Canadians?) use the term "Ronson" and Americans use "Zippo", each after their own respective favorite lighters. The two are totally interchangable. And since we Americans made the bloody things we will call 'em whatever the heck we please smile.gif

Steve

I'm shocked--shocked--to find Steve so seriously misinformed on the vehicle in question. The M4B8 Ronson can be positively identified by the configuration of the flint wheel and the tell-tale "oil can" superstructure. The Zippo model was more compact and, frankly, stood up better in high winds.

------------------

Max Molinaro

Guest Madmatt

I will make the change post haste Mon Capitane'!

Madmatt out...Steve saw my page! Steve saw my page!

Top of da' world MA!!!!! wink.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-17-2000).]