Game of Year?

For those of us who are relatively new to the computer game scene [at least one or two besides me] I'd like to know if there is a recognized award as "THE" game of the year award. Like the Oscars as compared to the Golden Globe.

If so, when does it occur and how is it determined. We have seen the combined power of this forum to vote for fav games. Certainly, I think CM is the top, but as a Mac user my selection is limited, thus the lack of familiarity w/ the chance of any particular game copping this honor.

But I do know that I'd like CM to achieve that and BTS, Beta Testers and all who made it possible know that they are the BEST.

GamesDomain (my fav site), as well as many other sites, runs a "Game of the year" poll in january each year.

I prefer GamesDomain due to their thorough and well thought through reviews and interesting columns.

Computer games online gets second place and they also host a "Best of the year" poll.

Look around at the gaming sites and decide which you prefer. Then join the polls on as many sites as you like.

So the answer to your original question is 'No'. There is no one-and-only award for Game of the year.

Sten

I doubt a poll would get CM very far. Cuz gaming sites would plug their game too, which would have more fans. Not to say that CM isn't game of the year material, however. I think if it's going to be game of the year, it'll have to be made by the reviewers of the site\mag themselves and not to rely on polls. Cuz most fanboys don't even have anything in their field of vision beyond the game they're currently worshipping.

-KOP

The closest thing to that is the "Game of the Year" award given by

Computer Gaming World. They are the oldest (pushing toward 20 years!)

and most respected PC gaming mag. Wargames are a specialized niche

in the computer gaming strategy game genre. So with such a relatively

narrow focus and thus lack of mass appeal the deck will be stacked against

getting the nod for number 1 game of the year. But, I fully expect

CM to win the "Wargame of the Year" category in Computer Gaming World's

annual game awards issue. This issue will hit stands around March.

Don't miss it! smile.gif

KOP,

Go over to the GamesDomain website. Read the CM review.

Do you still think CM would be a sure loser?

My only doubt is that due to the chosen method of distribution CM won't reach the same-sized audience that, say, CC5. But if we keep banging CMs drum publically, maybe we can help CM win.

(Don't bang too hard, though. People tend to find strong and/or incessant drumming annoying...) smile.gif

Sten