Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

two questions for the experts

Guest Turret

your correct on the lee-enfield it had a real kick to it, regarding the garand we had a demo of it,whilst preparing to go over the water, it chewed up a breeze block with ease, a nasty thing to be on the end of.

---------------------------------------------

Guns aint dangerous its the the idiots holding them

Recoil? these things have recoil? biggrin.gif

In addition to the 2 weapons I've already mentioned, I have a wonderful little toy that's chambered in Winchester 440 express, it's called an elephant gun, and would forever change your opinion about recoil. smile.gif

(as well as altering your basic anatomy)

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

Guest Michael emrys

I hear it works wonders for the elephant's anatomy as well. But there have been even larger caliber elephant guns. The .600 Double Express comes to mind.

There is (or at least was) another hunting weapon that should be dear to the heart of CMers: the punt gun. This was emphatically not intended to be fired from the shoulder. It was mounted in the bow of a small skiff (hence the name) and fired large birdshot. I don't know exactly what gauge it was, but its overall dimensions were about those of a 20mm cannon. They were favored by poachers who would row out onto a body of water, aim at a flock of resting birds and let fly. It was then a simple matter to row over and haul in the dead birds.

Michael

You really should fire a Garand. Hell, everybody should. I wouldn't say it necessarily kicks less than the L-E (depends on the model and weight; my Jungle Carbine will out-kick a Garand anyday). The action spreads out the recoil some, but it was loaded a little hotter (2800 fps vs. 2200 fps, muzzle velocity).

My point is that the excellent action of the Garand lends itself to rapid-rate suppressive fire, but that the recoil of .30-06 is so high that quick follow-up rounds will be so off-target that the suppressee will not know he is being suppressed by the subsequent rounds.

The automatic action was perfect for an intermediate cartridge, like the Soviet 7.62x39mm and its predecessor, the 7.92 kurz.

You know, the punt gun was shoulder fired, after a fashion. It was held in a crutch for the forearm, and the shooter placed a sack of straw between the butt and his shoulder. The thing weighed well over 100 lbs. and ran about 9 feet long, and was meant to be fired from nearly prone in the little "punt" duck boats. They have one in a little historical museum in Pontiac, MI, but I couldn't check the bore at the time.

punt.jpg

Guest Michael emrys

Great photo, Mark IV. That's the beast all right. I must admit that I was unaware that the firer was in contact with the gun while discharging. I thought it was simply fixed to the boat. But it's been forty-something years since I read about it, so it wouldn't surprise me over much to be corrected. Thanks again for the pic.

Michael

Good call on this .600 Michael, unfortunately,(or possibly fortunately) I can't give first-hand accounts on it's recoil, 'cause I don' gots one of dose smile.gif

As for punt guns, they came in various sizes, I have seen one down in Fla. that looked to be around 50mm bore, which one would most definately not be snugging up to one's shoulder, ouch, my arm hurts just thinking about that. cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"