More on Shelling Effects- Humor

Guest Seimerst

Guest Seimerst

The excellent thread below about how troops react under the kind of intense barrages that can be experienced in CM brings to mind an old "Willy and Joe" cartoon of Bill Mauldin famous WWII characters.....

Willie and Joe are hugging the ground as the shells pound all around them.. Willie calls out to his buddy "I can't get any lower Joe, my buttons are in the way."

Ahhh yes, the wonderful Up Front cartoons by Bill Mauldin. Long one of my favorite books! It has so many great cartoons, favorites are hard to choose - but two have always hung around in the back of my mind...

1. The classic of the old cavalry soldier about to shoot his jeep because it has a broken axle.

2. and More appropriate here, the scene with a Stug parked directly over Joe and Willies' foxhole. Willie has a radio handset and is saying "Able Fox Five to Able Fox. I got a target but ya gotta be patient."

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Guest Michael emrys

This reminds me of a story from a book about airpower in Viet Nam. Seems that a Special Forces camp was being overrun by an NVA regiment that contained some Russian tanks, and one of them parked itself on top of the command bunker. The guys in the bunker still had commo to an incoming airstrike and explained the situation to the flyboys and requested some help. The lead pilot came back with the news that he was carrying a PAVE Tack, an early laser-guided bomb of 2,000 lbs. He warned them that it could take out the tank, but it was going to make a pretty big bang in the process. The grunts told him to go ahead anyway.

The flyboy made his attack, which took out the tank alright. This was followed by a loooong silence from the ground, which worried the flyguy that maybe he had taken out his co-nationals as well.

Finally they came back up on the air saying, "You got any more of those?"

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marty:

1. The classic of the old cavalry soldier about to shoot his jeep because it has a broken axle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That jeep cartoon was always one of my favorites , if you look on the bumper you'll see they were with 3/5 Cav , which is my old combat unit (different war).

My favourite Willy & Joe cartoon (and forgive me if I swap names on this one, it's been a while since I saw it), had the two of them curled up in a bunker at night, one squinting along the barrel of a .45 taking aim at a rat less than 2 feet away, and the other holding a flashlight on it saying: "Careful, Willy, they charge when wounded."

------------------

After witnessing

exceptional bravery from

his Celtic mercenaries,

Alexander the Great

called them to him and

asked if there was

anything they feared.

They told him nothing,

except that the sky might

fall on their heads