My favourite war movies (and why)

Guest Babra

Just shamelessly slumming for cool points now... cool.gif

In no particular order:

"The Bridge" European. Early sixties film. B&W. Gritty drama of a group of Hitler Youth ordered to defend a meaningless bridge in the closing days of WW2. Haven't seen it in twenty years and it's brutally hard to find, but worth the effort if you can find it. You probably won't see it on the late show as networks tend to frown on graphic depictions of 14 year olds getting blown away (unless it's news, then it's ratings).

"Ice Cold in Alex." British. Late fifties, early sixties. B&W. Tired tale of mismatched group trying to find their own lines in an ambulance after escaping the fall of Tobruk, but well made and well-acted.

"Iron Angel." American. B&W. Another ambulance behind the lines flick, this time set in Korea, and a darn good one too. Lots of drama.

And a few more I don't know the name of...

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

[This message has been edited by Babra (edited 02-08-2000).]

Guest MantaRay

I have a few.

Patton: Because George C. Scott was the best actor of his time.

Fire base Gloria: Exceptional 70's take, and R. Lee Ermy is one hell of a believible CO. Reminds me of my former CO.

Sands of Iwo Jima: Seems like me and my father watched that 100 times together. And John Wayne was the single most inspiring actor of the 20th century. He made Americans more patriotic in his day, hard to beat that.

And no, historically, these are not accurate films, but man they are all good entertainment.

------------------

www.panzerelite.iwarp.com

+"The Bridge" European. Early sixties film. B&W. Gritty drama of a group of Hitler Youth ordered to defend a meaningless bridge in the closing days of WW2. +

I agree . That is one of the best and realistic films if have ever seen . They have only very small founds but they managed best out of it . This film is also not only basing on a true story , it is a true story which happend in April 45 near Gießen/Germany. But there were much of the same stories like this . It shows also how Nationalsozialismus was working in the head of the people and what can be happened through this .

Also you should try to see "Hitlerjunge Quex"

That is a propaganda film of the nazis which will be hard to find because it is in the "poison store" but sometimes there are some copys available . It shows how the brains of this young guys how died in "The Bridge" has been washed and prepared for the "Heldentod" . But if you see , believe me , you will even with all the history informations you have will also be brainwashed for some time . So be carefull .

------------------

Ah, yes: "die Brucke". Haven't seen it in awhile myself, but I remember it as an excellent take on the bleakness and futility of war from the "other" side.

Another excellent WWII flick is "A Walk in the Sun". Produced in 1946 by the same director who made "All Quiet on the Western Front" (and would later go on to make "Pork Chop Hill"), this movie deals with an American infantry platoon as it moves up from an Italian beach and attempts to reach it's objective of the day, a farm house. This movie was made with a crew of vets, right after the end of the war, so it lacks the hyper-patriotic cheerleading seen in most period war-movies (something I find rather refreshing!). The actors in this movie act like soldiers --- not like actors acting like soldiers. Definitely a movie worth the effort of finding.

I have Attack on video. Not bad, but not on my faves list.

Speaking of movie cheerleading (and the lack thereof), I almost forgot "The Victors." That one is a dark look at "the good guys." It's so realistically depressing you'll want to slit your wrists so you'll never have to share the planet with such people. Are they bad people? No... And that's what makes it a great film.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

In no particular order:

Gallipolli - One of the only movies I can think of that actually made me cry. Reflexively anti-war, but so are most post-1960 war movies.

Zulu - The nice thing about Roarke's Drift is that (from the British side) you can show it at the level of the individual soldier. IMO, one of the more balanced depictions of war and warriors that's out there. And the scene with the fire step really gives meaning to the term "weight of metal". One thing I'll never understand is why Colour Sergeant Bourne didn't get a VC.

Stalingrad - Watching this is the equivalent of putting your psyche through a meatgrinder.

The Enemy Below - Limited scope of this Tin Can vs. U-boat duel makes for excellent on-screen tension. Great performances from the leads.

The Great Escape - This is more a personal favorite than anything else; I've probably seen this one more often than any other flick. Great performances all around(excepting James Coburn's lame imitation of an Aussie). It's even based on a true story.

Other faves: Breaker Morant; Kagemusha and Ran(I didn't include them up top because I'm not sure they're truly war movies per se); Sink the Bismarck; Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence; The Sands of Iwo Jima; The Dam Busters; and many others...

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Ah yes, The Dam Busters. Yet another one you'll never see on the late show any more, due to the politically incorrectly named dog wink.gif A rather neat contemporary of it is "One of Our Aircraft is Missing." A neat escape and evasion story of the crew of a Wimpy in Holland.

I like Sink the Bismark too, but that's because I want Dana Winter to read me bedtime stories. biggrin.gif

Some other honourable mentions...

The Beast - A Russian tank gets lost in Afghanistan. Great cinematography and some nice tank action.

Sahara - A Humphrey Bogart flick from the war years. Worth watching just to see the M3 Grant move, fire, and be a tank in the desert. Otherwise, just the usual propaganda bull...

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Seimerst

"Breaker Morant"

True story of the 2nd Boer War-- an Aussie Cavalry unit is caught in a UK policy change and its leaders are tried for shooting Boer prisoners-- historically perfect, shot on location.

Guest Seimerst

"Breaker Morant"

True story of the 2nd Boer War-- an Aussie Cavalry unit is caught in a UK policy change and its leaders are tried for shooting Boer prisoners-- historically perfect, shot on location.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

Ah yes, The Dam Busters. Yet another one you'll never see on the late show any more, due to the politically incorrectly named dog wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they recently ran it in the UK (over Xmas?) with all references to the dog edited out. Maybe they should digitally re-master the film, edit the dog's color and name it "Charley". rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sahara - A Humphrey Bogart flick from the war years. Worth watching just to see the M3 Grant move, fire, and be a tank in the desert. Otherwise, just the usual propaganda bull...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bogey's final speech is a rousing example of the above. I love it when the Krauts surrender and they're all shouting "Wasser, Wasser". No wonder Bogey ended up running a bar at the other end of Africa smile.gif

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 02-09-2000).]

An outstanding (IMHO) Vietnam movie is "84 Charlie Mopic". The entire movie is seen through a camera that is assigned to a 6 man recon squad. You are right there with them, and you only know what they know.

I think I will go watch it again now that I think about it.

84 Charlie Mopic? Never heard of it, but I'm gonna start looking. It's funny how the very best movies are the least known...

Yes, Das Boot was a great film. My only regret is not seeing it in a theatre.

I really need to find some more of those European B&W war films. Every one I've seen is great.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !