Demo question

tecumseh

I have a version of TacOps from what feels like over 10 years ago. I used to play it a lot on my mac LC, and even made up new markers for all the units. I only played against the AI, but had a ball.

I remember Major H announcing on the newsgroup he was working on a new engine that would allow proper map contours, and some other cool stuff. I think this was about six years ago? He worked on it for ages. I emailed him once a year for a while to ask how it was coming, and it appeared he was having trouble with the coding, and having trouble with publishers. I drifted off to other games.

Now I just downloaded the v4 demo, and it's got the same map as the old version I've got! :eek:

This is not a complaint because I am grateful for the years of fun, I am just wondering what happened!? Was all that coding Major H did for the new engine just discarded? Are there plans for a new engine still?

[ September 08, 2002, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: tecumseh ]

The "unlimited elevations" map engine was put on a back burner two years ago. It worked but it took too long for me to encode the super high detail maps that it needed.

Then along came a series of military contracts none of which cared about adding more detail to the map engine and the last of which demanded (among other things) a networked multiplayer teams mode of play. Thus my plate has been too full to take another pass at a more detailed map engine.

Much of the code from the other engine that you mentioned has ended up in TacOps v4. Hence the new look to the windows and dialogs. Some of it is not active yet but its there waiting for its testing and debugging turn.

The original maps and scenarios have not changed but a lot of new features have been added, operating system changes have been coped with, and there are more extras than ever. I think the improvements merit reaching into your pocket again but you can decide for yourself by reading the info pages in the TacOps4 ad area, reading the new user guide which is included with the demo, and by trying the demo. If enough has not changed then check back again next year for v5.

I have to stop once in a while and sell something smile.gif .

[ September 08, 2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]