Questioning MG modeling

Just a quick question.

When a mortar is knocked out it stays on the battlefield and you can click on it. That way artillery can knock out equipment and leave the crews behind.

I'm just wondering why MG's aren't represented like this?

MG's are of comparable size. Why aren't they modeled like this?

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

My best guess would be that CM considers mortars to be more of a "Gun," like an AT gun, and considers MGs to be more of a small arm. Guns get counted as abandoned or knocked out, while small arms are just eliminated.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Guns like the MG 42 (with tripod) and the M2 .50 cal MG are definetly not small arms! The Vicker's MG isn't terribly small either!!

The German 50mm and the Commonwealth 2in mortars are all represented like (as Gustav said) 'guns'.

Just looking for a viable reason why MG's aren't like this...

------------------

-Steve

My website!

Colin

the answer was implied above, CM treats an MG as a non-crew based weapon. If it was, then you could shell the mg and see the 'crew' abandon it and run off with their pistols, which would be odd. Instead an MG team is treated as a small squad with a variety of weapons (?) like the rifles etc AS WELL as a hoopy MG which deals out the damage.

PeterNZ

I know how MGs are treated currently I just want to know why.

If an MG team is like a 'small squad' why don't the other weapons (rifles,SMGs) show up in the 'squads info'?

Perhaps in CM2 they could have crews that ran off with rifles and SMG's instead of just pistols.

Sorry if I seem rude or I'm not coming across clearly.

------------------

-Steve

My website!

Without any real answer, I'm guessing that it has to do with the blanket rules which CM applies to guns - ie, mortars and up.

Off the top of my head - guns can't be fired from within buildings, MGs can; guns can target TRPs (to my knowledge, MGs can't); hrm...I'm sure there are more.

Again - I have no way of knowing if this is really the case. But it seems to me that crew-manned guns are modelled according to a different set of rules than other weapons. Therefore, it would seem to make sense to exclude weapons to which those rules don't apply.

Not sure if this is the correct answer, but it's a shot.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.