TacOps 3&4 Infantry Modelling

Bruce70

I just downloaded the TacOps3 demo and plan on buying TacOps4 when it is released.

I have only played a couple of games but it seems that while infantry can be suppressed they never break or surrender and seem to fight to the last man. Have I misinterpereted what I have seen and has infantry modelling been changed for TacOps4?

Also the movement rate of (unsupressed) infantry seems a bit slow but I didn't actually try to measure it so it might have just been an impression. For the sake of my future planning what is the movement rate for infantry? or is this in the unit info?

[ July 21, 2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Bruce70 ]

> ... it seems that while infantry can be suppressed they

> never break or surrender and seem to fight to the last man.

> Have I misinterpereted what I have seen

Infantry markers get suppressed and the number of effective personnel in a marker dwindles under effective fire but their markers never break or surrender - at least not in a way that is observable. This can be considered to be fighting to the last man or it can be considered as a unit becoming combat ineffective at some undefined point before that. The combat tables vs infantry are sufficiently liberal to include the concept of some troops choosing to take themselves out of harm's way.

> and has infantry modelling been changed for TacOps4?

No.

>For the sake of my future planning what is the movement rate for infantry?

The speed of dismounted infantry varies depending on the terrain and whether the unit is suppressed, but it never exceeds 4 kilometers per hour.

You can get an approximate idea of how long it will take for a unit to move along its path of waypoints by clicking on and holding down the "?" button in the upper right part of the unit orders window. The time to each waypoint will be drawn next to the waypoint.

Originally posted by MajorH:

The combat tables vs infantry are sufficiently liberal to include the concept of some troops choosing to take themselves out of harm's way.

OK

The speed of dismounted infantry varies depending on the terrain and whether the unit is suppressed, but it never exceeds 4 kilometers per hour.

That seems reasonable. I guess it just seems slower when you are waiting for them.

You can get an approximate idea of how long it will take for a unit to move along its path of waypoints by clicking on and holding down the "?" button in the upper right part of the unit orders window. The time to each waypoint will be drawn next to the waypoint.

Excellent, I didn't know that.

Thanks.