CA M113 E/PNR

rich4421972

I have a question about the above-named unit. It is used in the Canadian scenario "Combat Team Dingman," an MTC where the BLUFOR attempts to track down a small belligerant nation and then exit 34% of the original force across the Eastern border.

What does the "E" designate? For example, if it denotes "Engineer," then is this M113 just the same as any other? If the "E" denotes "electronic," doe this denote the presence of surveillance equipment or radar?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

Rich

CA M113E/PNR...

CA means Canadian.

E means engineer.

PNR means pioneer which is another word in some armies for engineer.

The M113E/PNR in the real world has an earth moving blade on the front.

In v3 this vehicle can only carry troops, the blade does not do anything.

In v4 this vehicle can use the blade to breach obstacles.

OK, I'll assume it is classified. I was playing Flight Commander 2 the other day (another abandoned battlefront game) and I noticed the presence of the f-18E and F-15E as options for multi-role fighters. Up here in Seattle, Boeing-McDonnell makes quite a big stir whenever one of these planes is sold to the Navy or Air Force because of their complex electronics.

I asked the above question because I thought that the "E" in M113E was analogous to the "E" in EF-111, F-18E or F-15E (all electronic counter-measures platforms). Somehow it made sense to me that engineering units would be equipped with some electromnic stuff.

Now I realize that a plane is not a tracked vehicle! smile.gif

>OK, I'll assume it is classified.

Huh?

There is no classified information in TacOps, not even in the military versions. All of the data items in TacOps are unconfirmed "notional" values that collectively produce plausible game results but individually they may or may not coincide exactly with real world values - for example, armor thickness and armor penetration values.

[ June 30, 2002, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

Originally posted by MajorH:

>OK, I'll assume it is classified.

Huh?

There is no classified information in TacOps, not even in the military versions.

I must apologize for my lack of knowledge on this and other subjects. I know it must drive you guys crazy to hear my ingenuous questions. It takes alot of class to answer so copiously, as you all have done. I have learned so much since I first posted a message here long ago. I really appreciate your answers even if you feel like you are talking to a simpleton.

I'll be glad to see the new dozer capabilities at work in the "new" M113 E/PNR! smile.gif

Thanks

[ June 30, 2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: rich4421972 ]

If any of you have access to TechTV (DirecTV carries it) you may want to see some of this Canadian hardware in a training environment. The program is called Tech of a Battlefield. It is 30 minutes long and documents an exericse with comments from the unit's Brigade Commander. You can find the show schedule on TechTV.com.

Note that this is not the same segment as the regular feature Future Fighting Machines. FFM is mostly short video clips (sales demos?) with some chatty and uninformed comments by an off camera narrator.