How Does CM Model Small Arms Fire?

Comrades,

How does CM model small arms fire? Before you start chanting Abstraction Abstraction, let me articulate a bit.

If I have, say, a US rifle squad of 10 people in the woods shooting at a German rifle squad of 10 people in the woods, how does CM figure out how my troops fire hits, misses, suppresses or otherwise affects the enemy?

Note: Did a search for "infantry and accuracy" and didn't turn anything up.

Terence

(edited for grammar and spelling)

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 12-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

Before you start chanting Abstraction Abstraction, let me articulate a bit.

...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that you've articulated a bit ...

Abstraction, abstraction, abstraction!

Thank you.

No, really, basically the answer is I Don't Know. If I had to guess, I'd say that the firepower rating at the appropriate range, modified for cover and concealment and possibly other factors, is run through a results generator along with a random number (i.e., a die is rolled on a "Combat Results Table") to determine casualties inflicted.

In other words ...

(wait for it)

Abstraction, abstraction, abstraction!

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Big Time Software

Leland has it right. The firepower rating, which is the sum of the capabilities of each individual weapon at x range, is augmented by things like what each unit is doing (Hiding, running, etc.), where they are doing it, etc. The result, which is always randomized a bit, determines the results. Losses are randomly assigned when called for. LMGs can be picked up if the gunner is lost. Suppression and other stuff is largely dependent upon the unit's Experience, current action, current Morale level, size, incomming firepower, etc.

Lots of things smile.gif You can check the Search for "firepower" to see more about how that is calculated and applied.

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply!

I figured that it must be some variation on that scheme.

Still, it must get tricky when units are exchanging fire and causing mutual casualties, or when the mix changes and one of the combatants starts getting shelled by a third party... . Eesh. Makes my head hurt.

I will do that search.

Thanks again for such a great game.

Terence

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 12-04-2000).]