Grids don't show on the map

Hi all,

Got CMBO a couple of weeks ago and enjoy it thoroughly, thanks to the guys that made it happen.

Can you help me pls? I downloaded the hiresgrid (and later velvetgrid) modpack from TGN and copied all BMPs to the BMP directory, but the darn grass does NOT want to display grids.

Any ideas? I know my laptop vidcard has a problem with building transparency, but is shouldn't matter.

I am on 1.05.

Thanks guys

Coralsaw

Thanks for the swift answers.

Did all things mentioned. Even clean installed and then installed hiresgrid, thinking that my laptop screen is not good enough to show the velvetgrid mod.

Checking the bitmpats in the BMP directory with a bitmap viewer, i found out the hiresgrid bitmaps ARE there. They just don't want to show on the map!!!

I am either doing something really stupid, or there is some bug around...

Additional info: Compaq Armada E500 laptop wit 128MB RAM.

Coralsaw

Regards

hmm, beat me

maybe the maker of the zip put in the wrong files - your guess is as good as mine at this point

here's an interesting info: the hellcat can race across 28 twenty-meter grids of grass in sixty seconds, in-other-words thats 560 meters, wow!

eheh

This is a quote from Madmatts ModGuide:

"Be advised, some systems have such low video memory that the game will default to using very low res grass textures. If you install a Grass Mod and the grass doesn't change appearances then it's time to upgrade to that GeForce II!"

So it looks like your video card can't handle the hi-res gridded grass.

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

Fred,you are right... Blast! mad.gif

Did a simple test. Deleted the bitmaps 1550 to 1669 used for grass (hiresgrid) from the bmp directory, expecting CM to start with an error. Guess what? It started ok, no problem...

So it seems that CM does not use bitmaps for grass if video ram is not much, it uses some sort of on-the-fly rendering, or maybe a different set of lo-res bitmaps.

Does anybody know if there is a different set of lo-res bitmaps for grass?

Thx

Coralsaw

Cracked it.

You need to rename all bitmaps in the hiresgrid mod like this: 1550.bmp -> 1500.bmp etc.

Now the funny thing is that it CM is not slower than before. Probably did not recognise my vidcard and took the most sensible approach.

Thanks to all

Coralsaw

Guest Madmatt

This exact issue is described in depth in my Madmatt Mod Guide. It is using the low-res grass textures which are named 1500-1519.bmp. You will need to rename the new texture to those filenames while retaining the sequence, i.e. 1550 would become 1500 and 1551 would become 1502.bmp etc...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-08-2000).]