Why not always the go with the Security Platoon?

Howdy,

I always play as the allies, but was recently forced to play as the Axis for a tournament, so I got to take a look at the units I had at my disposal. I took my time, as I wasn't familiar with German equipment at all.

I noticed that one platoon type seemed to stand head and shoulders above the rest, the security platoon. My questions to German commanders is, why don't you ALWAYS pick this platoon type?

Each squad has one (maybe even two) LMG42s, a couple of rifles, and I think 3/4 submachine guns. I know I don't have the numbers down quite right, but point being, one squad carries all three types of guns in equal balance, rifles, submachine guns (more than just one), as well as LMG42s.

What were security platoons used for, historically? I've been using them for these meeting engagement battles and they've been great.

[This message has been edited by Spacewrangler (edited 10-03-2000).]

Speaking as someone who usually plays Axis, it depends on what you're doing with them, and where.

SMG's are great for town fighting, but suck if you're forced to trade fire at longer ranges. They're good for woods fighting, or fog or night fighting, but not in open daylight attacks. The fact that security squads have a few rifles doesn't make up for the fact that at longer ranges you're down to essentially a 2 or 3 man squad.

HMG's and LMG's are good defensive weapons to tie up oncoming units, and are good at covering advances if you're on the attack, but they move so slow that you're stuck with a slow, cumbersome advance if you want to bring thier firepower along with your main force.

Personally, I find that regular Rifle Squads are the best overall unit. Good FP close in, while still being able to shoot longer range enemy units.

Guest Rommel22

Security platoons were used at rea areas. Security plattons were sometimes engaged against partisans, holding key bridges in Normandy. When the alies dropped paratroops to take bridges, those troops defending the bridges were often security platton.

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

Spacecowboy, you are right in that they have an even mix of close combat, medium range and long range small arms. A little bit of everything, this tranlsates into mediocre at everything, excelling at nothing.

as Pham correctly pointed out, what type of armament you want for your infantry depends on what you intend to do with them.

or, well, to phrase it drastically und impolite, the security platoons are the ideal unit for an inept player or one that has no idea what he's doing (or, he might be a wise player not knowing what the scenario conditons will be).

since this isn't an axis issue, I am surprised to see you ask the question, since it applies to the different small arms equipment of the different allied infantry types, too.

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

In my experience, one Tiger "up front" equates to a short-lived tank that can't traverse quickly enough to engage the enemy that races around the Tiger to knock it out with a flanking shot. Tigers make better stand-off weapons wink.gif

------------------

"Gun damaged are rare on Shermans because they die like red shirts on Star Trek" - Slapdragon

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Security platoons suck. They have like 7 rifles. What good is that? Fallschrimjager with Stg44 kicks ass all over security platoons. Can you gerbegisjager? 7 SMGs in that platoon. Get close to any allied squad and it runs home to momma. Security Platoons only good for use as cannon fodder. And also good for providing covering fire at long range while Stumkompanie is closing with the enemy. The security company is pretty nice with all of those 20mms. Those 20mms make the .50 cal look like a pistol.