Quick Battle purchase wishes

I have a few wishes regarding the unit purchase mechanism in quick battles. I know some of this has been mentioned before, but another vote doesn't hurt smile.gif

1. Tank units.

I would like to be able to buy tank units according to historical OOBs - platoons and preferably also companies. Someone else suggested giving them a slightly cheaper price in order to offset the lack of purchase flexibility. I think this is a good idea.

2. Modified OOBs.

I would like to be able to set up my own OOB's or modify the existing ones, so that I can simulate the fact that few real OOBs matched the paper OOBs, e.g. due to combat losses and odd replacements. It also gives me more flexibility in matching the point limit. This creates some specific demands:

2a. Extra HQs.

I would like to be able to buy some HQ units at different levels, e.g. a company HQ to lead my two individually purchased platoons or a platoon HQ to lead my individually purchased support units. Make them a bit expensive if you prefer.

2b. Edit OOBs

I would like to be able to remove units from existing OOB's. There is no real need to be able to add units, as CM does not seem to care about the chain of command. Any leader can command any unit during battle.

2a and 2b will actually fulfil much the same need, so both are not really needed.

2b does conflict with the cheaper pricetag of whole units, but 2a does not.

Hmmm, come to think of it - there may be some command chain restrictions after all. It is possible that a platoon commander cannot lead units from another platoon (excepting T-units) and that a company commander cannot lead units from another company. I don't recall seeing these command limitations, though. But then I haven't had the game for very long.

Your assumption about command limitations are right on platoon HQs. I don't know about company and batallion HQs, they do seem more generic.

It's not only T, but also crews from abandoned vehicles that follow any HQ.

Regarding your wish #1; buying tanks at platoon strength.

I like this, if it's

- incorporating a platoon HQ, with all C&C restrictions and bonuses.

- not only restricted to tanks, but also include TD platoons, artillery batteries, ATG platoons, and so on.

Regarding your wish #2; editing troops.

2a, extra HQs; These should be Coy and Battalion HQs only, making your 2b less of a problem.

Cheers

Olle

When I wrote Tanks, I should have written Armor. Sorry, but I'm green after all smile.gif

BTS have in their wisdom decided not to model the command element of vehicles. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I personally have no desire to change that. I would still like to be able to buy generic (OOB) groups of armored vehicles, as approproate for the time and nationality/army.

Grouping onboard guns similarly seems logical.

As for HQ's I suppose a fairly simple limitation would eliminate most abuse: Limit the ratio between infantry ("leg") units and HQ units, probably dependent on nationality/army and time period. Ofc, "fairly simple" means that I only have to dream it up, not program it wink.gif

I would like to be able to specify some specific units, and then have the AI pick a plausible OOB from there. For instance, give the AI at least one King Tiger, or give me at least one Churchill Crocodile, and the rest picked at the AI's discretion. Sometimes I want a fight against a particular unit, but picking the units for the AI completely destroys the FOW.