B.E.F.

Does anyone know where I can find details about the 4th Battalion Royal tank Regiment - which was part of the 1st Army Tank Brigade. I'd like to know it's make-up when it was part of the B.E.F. in France during 1940.

Any answers greatly appreciated

----------------------------------------------

"I love it, God help me I do love it so"

The 4th RTR, along with the 7th RTR were the formations of the 1st Army Tank Brigade, forming the armoured force (barring the 2 Mechanized Cavalry Brigades detached to divisions) until the 1st Armoured Division was landed.

The 4th RTR was equipped with the hefty, but, practically useless against anything other than Infantry, Matilda I. There were around 50 of these tanks, with around 7-8 Vickers Mk VI (B or C model). Plus there were a few Scout Carriers.

The 4th RTR, with the 7th RTR along with around 2 battalions of Durham Light Infantry partook in the attack on Arras. Rommel thought that he was being attacked by 5 British Tank Divisions. I guess the Matilda I still had something to say in 1940, eh?

I'd try http://www.hwy56.com/ , they have a lot of accounts of British units. Also some good desktop pics.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska