Hi/res low/res mods

what are the differences between hi/res and low/res mods? Do the low/res mods make my computer run faster if i install them?

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

High-Res mods are made up of more pixels than Low-Res mods - it's a sort of relative thing as there are no standards as to exactly what is 'high-res' or not, within CM at least.

The low-res mods may give you a speed increase if you have an older graphics card without a lot of on-card memory. That memory is used to store the BMP textures. Some cards (maybe all cards?) can crunch textures down to a smaller size (low-res) dynamically to ensure the game never slows down too much. Basically, I think you just have to do your own tests to find the right balance between playability and looks.

I personally take all the bigger vehicle textures and resize them as I think they look just as good smaller.

Of course if your system and video card are top notch you have no worries.