CM previewed in Hong Kong

Hello CM fans,

One of the most popular PC game magazine here in Hong Kong called "HyperPC Player" has made a very brief preview in their latest issue (Vol. 58, Issue June 1, 2000) and the magazine has also included the "Gold" demo in this issue. Here is part of what they have said in the article. The article is written in Chinese and so please allow me for my poor English, I am trying my best translating them into English. (N.B. I add some of my comments in brackets.)

"'Combat Mission : Beyond Overload' is a turn-baed, two-players, 3D stratey-sim (strategic elements in CM?). The game follows very close with the WW2 history. The game occurs in the Western Front ranging from Normandy 1944 to Germany in 1945. One can play either Allied side or Axis -- formed by Germany, Italy (Italy still Axis in 1944?) and Japan. The formation ranges from US Marine to German "Volkssturm" formed on Oct 18, 1944. There will be a large variety of missions: village assaults, plain occupiations (The original really says as is) and woodlands attacks. If one finds not enough, a game editor is include which one is able to build any battle one likes. (Well, they miss the fact that CM has a number of operations for gamers to enjoy with)

One of the most outstanding feature is the unlimited view system. The player can adjust the view freely in order to plot the moves. This is the real advantage of utilitizing real 3D objects. The "board" are not seperated by areas, unlike other board games. The game shows both moves animated on game board after both sides plotted their orders. Each turn equals to the 60 seconds of the game time and time stops after each turn. If an order finishes before the whole 60 seconds, one has to wait for another turn to plot further moves again. (So they add a section heading "Semi-realtime strategy game)

Based on the updated demo (the Gold Demo), there are very noticable improvements over the previous demo. The official announcement makes the following information about release, e.g. there will be soundtracks and equipment of Germany, US, British, France and Poland. 50 types of weapons (so few? or is it unit types?), 40 terrian types, 9 major geographical features and 6 different weather conditions. The game includes single player, two player (I think it means "hotseat") and play-by-email (Obviously the writer does not aware that TCP/IP online play will be added some months after the release). There will be also a "quick combat mode", game generated by random parameters. Lastly, there will be "hi-fi" grade background music (???), 50 scenarios and over 176-pages manual. There are still a lot of details we cannot cover here but these features already make wargame fans saliving." (End of article)

If you find the above details confusing, personally I am no better than you are. This is the kind of game magazine we are reading in Hong Kong. The writer has little clue about the backgrounds even though I believe the writer has some efforts researching on the game itself. The writer seems to view CM as another RTS. The only critial error I think the preview never mentions that CM will not be on sale in stores!

But by god, the preview has included a number of PotD sceenshots taken from CombatHQ! biggrin.gif

I think I am writing a letter explaining the everything later and force them to post free CM ad on their magazine! Any official press or propaganda, BTS?

BTW, this game magazine can be reached by pcplayer@hcpc.com.hk.

Griffin @ home mac

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Madmatt

So they ripped POTD's from my site without ASKING first? Geezo...

Oh well...Thats international affairs for ya...

As long as it helps CM I guess it's cool though. Had they asked I would have customized some pictures just for them though... frown.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-03-2000).]

Matt,

One of the shots shown in the magazine is a lone US solider rushing to a buttoned Panther -- remember it? I think you should get yourself some watermark software. wink.gif

Those guys are also clueless on copyrights.

Griffin @ home mac.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

So they ripped POTD's from my site without ASKING first? Geezo...

Oh well...Thats international affairs for ya...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't there any vans, err, aircraft carriers in the region for swift retribution? Can't let infringement of US copyright go unpunished, no sir!

Speaking of semi-clueless reviewers, according to Happypuppy.com, CM is an RTS. Oh well, with a name like that...

Damn where are those smilies if you need them?

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...