Ideas for some patch fixes/changes (not game engine related)

These are just a few smaller things that I was thinking would make the game a little quicker and easier to play:

1. In PBEM games, have the interface request your password as soon as you open the PBEM file, rather than waiting a bit, putting in your password, then waiting a bit more.

1a. Allow users to put a password into a file on their system, and then have the program look there first for the password. I know I use the same PW for all my PBEM games, and it would be nice if the system did not need to ask me for it every time.

2. Have the scenario/op file manager remember your last load/save directory, and then open that one up when you go to load or save again.

3. Make the default scenario save directory something other than the saved games directory. What's the point of that?

4. Have a "trusted" PBEM mode to speed things up between known opponents, if they want.

5. Add a "browse" button to the scenario/op load screen.

6. Allow the option to have the system assign a file name and save your PBEM file automatically using some convention. This would probably be a bit more work...

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. In PBEM games, have the interface request your password as soon as you open the PBEM file, rather than waiting a bit, putting in your password, then waiting a bit more.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you can "blindly" type it in while the "loading 3D graphics" message is displayed and thus save a few seconds. I only learned that from reading this forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1a. Allow users to put a password into a file on their system, and then have the program look there first for the password. I know I use the same PW for all my PBEM games<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad idea. However, my opponent and I like to review the battles from each other's viewpoints, so we exchange passwords at the end of each game. With this situation, that wouldn't work since each battle needs its own PW (unless using 4. below). But, your idea is an interesting option. Maybe there could be a PW file for each PBEM game?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>4. Have a "trusted" PBEM mode to speed things up between known opponents, if they want.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming you're not just talking about passwords, but about the "movie" step, I've seen that idea on the forum before (perhaps by you? - I'm not sure). It's a good idea that would reduce PBEM exchanges (from 3 per turn to 2).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>6. Allow the option to have the system assign a file name and save your PBEM file automatically using some convention.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some folks (like me smile.gif) seem to like saving the entire battle for later review (unique filenames) while others consider this a bad idea. A standardized, automated method (that either increments a turn "suffix" or doesn't, depending on preference) would make a good option, if only to establish some default naming convention - there seem to be several (though no one I've seen uses "PBEM" smile.gif).

I'd view the types of refinements you describe as something for CM2 since there are more-pressing issues for CM patches (IMHO). However, you've expressed some good ideas that I'd like to see implemented eventually, especially 1a (if each game could have a PW file) and 6.

Wendell

Wendell,

The password file would only see if the PW was there. If not, it would jsut ask the player for it.

Anyway, I am surprised by the lack of comments. Are my suggestions just not controversial or interesting enough, since they deal with the non-3d interface? Probably.

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The password file would only see if the PW was there. If not, it would jsut ask the player for it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, and that would be a time/effort saver. What I was getting at was that sometimes you want a different PW for each game, and it would be nice not to have to remember which one went with which game. The possibility of multiple PW files, each tied to a game, would do that.

As for why there are few comments on this thread, my guess would be that most folks are more interested in fixing the "real" (unit movement/combat) portions of the game first. This isn't meant to dismiss your ideas, but those are the core issues, while your (useful) ideas are more at the periphery.

Regards,

Wendell

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 08-17-2000).]

Guest cypaulding

I would like to see an option that allows you to view all of your turns as a long movie and I think the infantry figures should be crouched over instead of being "on parade". These are my only gripes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Wendell,

The password file would only see if the PW was there. If not, it would jsut ask the player for it.

Anyway, I am surprised by the lack of comments. Are my suggestions just not controversial or interesting enough, since they deal with the non-3d interface? Probably.

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was on holidays, so react only now smile.gif

I agree with all your suggestions, my preferred is the "trusted PBEM" that will speed up games with friends.

------------------

PDF