Short range unobserved mortar fire

Terry Drinkard

Hello all,

I have an observation regarding short range (less than 1500 meters, often in the 700 meter range), unobserved mortar fires. It has been my experience that sometimes the rounds impact so far apart that, if this were a real mortar, the crew would have had to displace the gun in order to have achieved that amount of deflection.

In my real-life experiences, given even a moderately competent mortar crew, unobserved rounds tend to be within a couple hundred meters of the map coordinate I thought I wanted to hit. I think I am seeing a circular probability of error that is larger than the actual range to target.

So. Is there something to my observation? Has it already been beaten to death in this forum? Or am I simply low on caffeine?

Regards,

Well, I think you are seeing the results of range to target not having any impact (Groan) on the artillery accuracy computation.

But although this result (viewed microscopically) is not strictly realistic, it serves the (macroscopic) purpose of making unobserved fire not especially accurate, which offsets the much greater information that you have in the game about the location and deployment of enemy troops. It's not so much the ability of the mortar to hit the location that is being degraded as much as your knowledge that you WANT to hit that area.

>But although this result (viewed microscopically) is not strictly realistic, it

>serves the (macroscopic) purpose of making unobserved fire not especially

>accurate ...

That is correct for the first part of the abstraction.

The second part of the abstraction is the expectation that a real world unit firing at an unobserved target, would move the barrages around within the general target area to increase the chances of actually hitting something worthwhile.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: MajorH ]