misc questions

dhuffjr

Couple of questions:

1. What is the number of aircraft that is represented by an airstrike?

2. Not really tacops related but thought someone would know the answer. The Israeli Merkva tank has a 60mm mortar for antipersonel use. Is this the same as the infantry mortar, how is it employed, and how is it mounted?

3. I downloaded the map edit tool, what kind of software that is used to make a map.

4. In version 4 will it be possible to join different types if units to have them work/move as a team (like tank/IFV combos or infantry/MG/Javelin teams)?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dhuffjr:

Couple of questions:

1. What is the number of aircraft that is represented by an airstrike?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just one, I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

2. Not really tacops related but thought someone would know the answer. The Israeli Merkva tank has a 60mm mortar for antipersonel use. Is this the same as the infantry mortar, how is it employed, and how is it mounted?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a breech-loaded 60mm infantry mortar located in the rear of the turret, firing on the same azimuth as the main gun. I think the mortar is mostly used for smoke rounds, but I've heard that HE rounds are carried. I am under the impression that the mortar itself is the same as used on the French AML-60 armored cars.

> 1. What is the number of aircraft that is represented by an

> airstrike?

The original calculations for effect on target were based on a sortie consisting of two aircraft.

> 3. I downloaded the map edit tool, what kind of software

> that is used to make a map.

I don't understand the question.

> 4. In version 4 will it be possible to join different types

> if units to have them work/move as a team (like tank/IFV

> combos or infantry/MG/Javelin teams)?

Probably not. Its on the wish list but a lot of much easier to code items are ahead of it.

I would be very surprised if the 60mm is the same as found in an AML-60. I used to be found in the gunner's seat of one of those on occasion, and I'll assure you that as 60mm mortars go, the AML's is very powerful. Indeed, it's a gun/mortar, not just a mortar. The breech also takes up a fair bit of room.

NTM

Sorry for the confusion. :D It is my understanding of the map making process that you import an image to the map editer and use it to code in terrain. This is how one codes a map that has been scanned for use in tacops. But for the maps that come with the game and some of the other maps, how are they created? I was wondering which program is being used.

Concerning the mortar question. Is the mortar fixed in elevation so that it fires to a set distance? The info about the smoke rounds was interesting. Kinda create your own smoke screen as you go! I really am wondering how this has been employed in actual combat. I have seen it referenced as being utilyzed in all Israeli tanks. They also have the standard smoke dischargers, which has led me to believe that it is an anti-infantry weapon of some sort. Usefull for supressing ATGW I'm sure.

>But for the maps that come with the game and some of the other

>maps, how are they created?

Those would be the original "Type1" maps. They have to be compiled into a single Macintosh resource file or into a single Windows resources format dll file using development software such as Codewarrior for the Mac or MS VC++ for Windows.

I may drop the Type1 map format for TacOps v4. The only reason for using the Type1 format was to produce a game map stored in a single file rather than in several files. Users don't seem to mind any more if a program installs thousands of mysterious small files to their hard drive.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: MajorH ]

:( Sounds a little beyond my capabilities! I would like to piddle around making a new map but sounds like I will have to stick to real maps that I can scan. I have the map that the Camp Lejune map came from (the game map is only a small portion of it)and a couple of others. If anyone has the map that includes the new maneuver space/impact area west of Hwy 17 I would be interested in it.

You can get maps from Camp Lejeune just call Mainside Public Relations. They provide maps all the time.

Does anyone know the new number for the Marine Corps Locator.

I have tried 1-800-MARINES and websites but no luck. I am trying to hunt down some buddies from the Grunts.