Artillery accuracy and spotting. Can I get it zeroed faster?

Oswald

I've noticed that certain OPFOR mortar units can zero in on a discrete unit of mine really quick. However, I tend to have to spend some time to get a 5 rating when I need it, even when I have spotters adjusting my fire.

Is there any way to speed up the time I go from "firing cold" to getting a good zerored arty TRP?

Thanks!

Rob "Oswald" Baran

If an on-map arty unit or on-map mortar unit can see the target itself, it will zero in much more rapidly.

If an ACRV is observing for an off map arty unit, the first salvo will usually arrive with greater than usual accuracy and the accuracy of the next salvo on the same target point from that artillery unit will be increased two levels instead of the usual one. Same info applies to US FISTV, US FO Team, and OPFOR FO Team.

Thanks for the help, Sir,

Let me take it a small step further. For my recon units, I'll send the Bradleys out, unload the two infantry teams in a good spot to observe, and park the Bradleys about 400m away. I'll set everyone to a FC Range of 0, and just let 'em sit and watch. . .

So, would it help if I separated the two infantry teams? Does it matter, or would I be better off using FOs and FISTVs? Seems like standard infantry usually doesn't spot arty fire too well . . .

Rob "Oswald" Baran

But what do I know? I'm Air Force. . .

Oswald,

You can also increase your first-round accuracy by placing TRP's (grey squares with a "+" sign in them) before the game starts.

This represents registering artillery fires before a battle (something you usually do in the defense).

Assigning a fire mission using "shift to TRP" in the Artillery Orders box vs "mark target" will give you an accuracy of 5 instead of zero. If you then shift (up to 1000m), the accuracy will drop to four.

Armed with this knowlege, you need only know where the enemy will attack and where he will be a minute after you start the call for fire. Therein lies the challenge...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil Squair:

[QB]I'm a lobbyist so I deal with my share of acronyms, but I'm having some trouble with those in this thread.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

Check out the TacOps Library folder in your TacOps directory. FM 6-20 series is the Field Artillery specific stuff, but each FM on manuver (Armor, Infantry, etc.) usually includes a section on fire support and planning.

enjoy,

Gary

Stetson and Major H,

Thanks for the help. Often, the problem I have is in scenarios like TF Hoeft 3 (What I'm currently working on). You start with 4 pairs of M2s with Infantry teams. What I do is at 0700, immediately start thumping with ARTY where I think I need TRPs, and send the M2s to where they can observe the advancing OPFOR (clear LOS, covered, and in defilade). My big problem/complaint/gripe/wish/maybe-I-ain't-doing-this-right is that it takes me quite a while to get a 5 rating. Sometimes, I don't even *have* a 5 when OPFOR shows initial units.

So maybe my strategy is off. Is my basic idea right, or am I missing something basic?

Thanks again,

Rob "Oswald" Baran

By the way ...

Once you get experienced with game play, you will probably find that rushing forward to nail OPFOR piece meal at the map entry points is boring. You will get a much more challenging and realistic game if you let OPFOR get on the map more before engaging. The farther West you set up, the more challenging the game.

Ways to speed the completion of an adjust fire mission in real life are to:

1) be stationary (so you can more quickly figure out where you are and where the rounds are landing

2) be in a position to observe both the target location and the strike of the rounds

3) be out of direct fire contact

4) know what you are doing

To replicate that in TacOps, have a stationary, unsuppressed unit observe the location you want to hit. Accuracy should increase each turn. It will go up more quickly if your observer is in a FIST-V.