parallel to the gun.the sight?

Seen alot of pictures of 88mm guns

firing with their removable wheel

sets(front/back) still on.Why?

height advantage?mobility?

seems that I've seen more film

and pictures of it firing from

"towing" position than from "static"

position....always been curious about it.

------------------

Horrido!

michael

Guest Big Time Software

Not sure about the sights, really. I do know they had different optics for hitting ground and air targets.

As for firing with the wheels still on. I've seen a few shots of this. This was more or less for emergency deployment only. It took far less time to set the gun up this way, although it wasn't instant. Actually, the height was a disadvantage. The 88 was already too high from a concealment standpoint, so putting it up even higher wasn't a good idea. Hence this being the emergency deployment position smile.gif

BTW, the Pak43 (not 43/1) could also be fired from its wheels with some prep time. Same thing though... this was for emergency action.

Steve

From US War Department "Handbook on German Forces"

On 8.8 cm Pak 43

"It may be fired from its wheel if the direction of fire is within the 30 degrees of the longitudinal girders,but must be fired

with its platform on the ground when used in an artillery role"

On 8.8 Flak 41

"Although usually fired from the platform,it may be fired from its wheels,with the side members of the platform extended"

I don´t know if the same holds true for the 36/37,but the design looks the same,so maybe it does.

G-D

[This message has been edited by Ghost Dog (edited 04-30-2000).]

I'm pretty sure that the tube shown is part of the recoil mechanism.

This question has been driving me nuts. Ain't nothin' on the net I can find with details on the PAK sights, and my little home library has been no help. The Zeiss website mentions them in their history section, but that's all...

I continue the quest.

Ok,here goes;

"All German antitank-gun mounts have facilites for applaying range,and must have a means for applying lateral deflection.

8.8 Pak 43/41.

There are two telescopic mounts side by side on the left.One,of rocking bar type,is for antitank use,and the other,similar to the sight mount of the 10.5 cm F.H.18 is for indirect laying"

The magnification on the sights used later in the war were threefold,dont know if that applies to these guns.

Hope this explained some.

G-D

Should have included this passage as well.

"Zielfernrorh,Z.F 38/II S.v.o.4. This is the sight now used with all antitank guns.It has one main graduation with three secondary graduations on each side,and a vertical line between the conical reticles.The angles from conical to vertical reticles is 4 mils,giving a maximum lay-off of 24 mils to each side.The field of view is 8 degrees,and magnification is threefold"

The book is printed 1 of March 1945.

For all of you that dont know,a sight looks like a microscope with a whole bunch of wheels.

G-D