LOS through AFVs revisited

I realize there has been much discussion on this topic (that dead AFVs do NOT provide cover or block LOS).

My question is, will this be adressed in 1.03?

If not, I have a suggestion. Steve says that it was a design choice to not have dead (unsmoking) vehicles block LOS, and he justifies it as an abstraction. So why can't the abstraction include a lesser chance to hit a unit trying to hide behind a dead AFV? It seems to me this would be a happy medium.

The reason why I post this is becuase I was really annoyed with a situation where I had knocked out 6 enemy vehicles on one end of a bridge. These dead vehicles would have provided some great cover for my units.

I understand that calculating LOS through the vehicles would use up too much CPU. That is why I suggest a simple reduction in the chance to hit units behind dead vehicles. At least that way there would be SOME use to dead armor, other than pretty graphics.

That sounds like a reasonable request. I remember reading somewhere, not particularly sure but possibly on the BTS CM FAQ (hmmm, 3 acronym's...NICE!) that although dead soldiers bodies were not left where they had fallen, that AFV would be because of the fact that they blocked line of sight and provided cover. I might have been drawing false conclusions out of this statement, but I think not.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuse:

That sounds like a reasonable request. I remember reading somewhere, not particularly sure but possibly on the BTS CM FAQ (hmmm, 3 acronym's...NICE!) that although dead soldiers bodies were not left where they had fallen, that AFV would be because of the fact that they blocked line of sight and provided cover. I might have been drawing false conclusions out of this statement, but I think not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

It has been made VERY clear that only vehicles burning and belching smoke will block LOS.

For that matter knocked out pillboxes and bunkers also do NOT block LOS as they are treated as vehicles. This has been dicussed to death here. But for now, everyone who plays this game, should just know that unless it is a smoking wreck you are trying to hide behind, it won't provide ANY cover and it won't block LOS. Steve and Charles know all about it and have commented sufficiently that it is not really feasible (technically) to fix or and it is not a small tweak that can be patched at this time.

-tom w

Guest Mirage2k

Also, I'm fairly certain that making it harder to hit units behind a vehicle is just as difficult (code-wise) as a full-fledged LOS block.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

Also, I'm fairly certain that making it harder to hit units behind a vehicle is just as difficult (code-wise) as a full-fledged LOS block.

-Andrew

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever the subtleties of blocking LOS versus LOF, I CAN tell you that wrecks blocking flying shells. I've seen a tank-fired HE shell ricochet off a wreck.