Comanche

Carter

I thought I would continue discussing the Comanche in a new thread. . .

The Comanche is not a replacement for the Apache. It is the first helicopter designed specifically for armed reconnaissance. The Comanche was created to replace the AH-1 Cobra, OH-6A Cayuse, and the OH-58A/OH-58C Kiowa light observation helicopters, and to supplement the Apache.

Its frontal radar signature is more than six hundred times smaller that the Apache's, 32 times smaller that the OH-58D's ***mast-mounted sight***! Missiles can be carried internally, the gun is stowed when not in use, and the landing gear are fully-retractable. Radar stealthiness is not only provided by the shape of the helicopter. Radar absorbing materials also reduce its signature. The helicopter blades may even be invisible to radar (like a radome in the nose of a jet fighter, solid but transparent to radar). This means the Comanche will be able to approach five times to a radar than an Apache without being detected.

In the attack role, carrying external weapons, the Comanche would be much less stealthy, but the Comanche would remain stealthy with up to 6 Hellfires carried internally.

The Comanche is quieter that current helicopters. It makes half the rotor noise, and can sneak 40% closer than an Apache without being detected.

The Comanche's side IR signature is only about 36% of the Apache's. Its engines radiate only one quarter the heat of current helicopters.

An SA-16 may still be able to shoot one down. The Comanche still has a significant IR signature, and the SA-16 uses both IR and UV. But the Comanche's stealth should reduce lock-on range and probability of hit.

In a battlefield environment with jamming, a fire control radar will probably have a difficult time tracking the Comanche.

You may get intermittent detection, but that's not nearly as good as a solid track. A solid track would enable precise fire from anti-aircraft artillery. An intermittent track gives you only a general area to shoot at.

The Comanche's sensors, computers, and software are supposed to enable the aircraft to track and recognize adversaries long before they are aware of the Comanche's presence.

Apparently the idea is to hit the enemy first, before they have a chance to react.

I hear what you are saying about the stealth characteristics but be careful with the source of that info. The stealth fighter has a smaller head on signature but from the side its stealth is reduced. And if it jinxes then its signature goes up in proportion to the severity of the maneuver.

The commanche is stealthy head on which is an improvment. However the angle in which they approach a target is not always head on.

Recognize also that any decent foe will employ radars (airborne and land based) in a chainsaw or web that has energy hitting the airframe at a variety of angles.

I am always suspicious of stealth b/c my experience in Air Defense was that people assumed stealth meant invisible which is not true. It is reduced signature that is all.

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG