Tacops 1.0

datastormUSMC

Why doesn't anyone ask you for copy information? I think we have found a way to test hit percentages for M1s smile.gif.

3.0 has lots of good features. I don't know much about 1.0 (I think I was only about six when it came out), but I know it doesn't have the new scenarios and updated equipment data. Also, 3.0 has many Canadian scenarios which are more challanging then the US scenarios. Even though the OBs are the same as the US battles, fighting with the Canadians is a completly diffenrent battle!

EDIT: The smily was two spaces too far to the right.

[This message has been edited by jaja (edited 02-08-2001).]

I told CGW last week that I would retroactively authorize their issue of TacOps v1.0 if they apologized for their error and if they sent me a CGW coffee cup.

I have not seen the cup yet so I am looking for a lawyer to sue them for royalties on the several tens of thousands of unauthorized copies that they released. The lawyer can keep everything he brings in beyond the cost of a good coffee cup.

I tried to be a good sport about it.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

I actually was being serious.

CGW wronged me. I then gave them a ridiculously easy way to make it go away and they did not do what I asked. They apparently did not get the point of the initial exercise which was simply to "count coup" on an enemy.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 02-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 02-21-2001).]

MajorH, could you keep us posted on the development of the CGW issue? I would not mind them doing this personally if it was the CGW I knew from just 5 years ago but they changed so much now that I feel like its time that they should really be chased after for what they have done.

I mean, you pay $10 for the magazine (or whatever, its still overpriced) to see half of the articles that had already appeared or going to appear on Gamespot. Ziff Davis, anyone?

> keep us posted on the development of the CGW issue?

I received a coffee cup today with the CGW logo on it and an apology will be printed in the May issue.

Coup has been counted - honor has been satisfied smile.gif.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Major,

I too got a copy of TacOps 1.0 somewhere on the web, and not being aware of such things (I am now! wink.gif) as phreakz or hackz or crackz or whatever they call themselves I looked the game over and then purchased v 3.0 - received it this past weekend. $8.00 s&h - slap those guys at the distribution center! All joking aside, looking over version 1 in it's entirety got you the sale on 3.0, so I'm not so sure having 1.0 floating around is a bad thin - especially since if the gamer wants upgrades and fixes he'll need 3.0 . However, I'm pretty sure I still have the files I downloaded, and they do have some wacky comments in the zip and an added readme - if you want them for any reason let me know.

Bill

Guest MajorH

Thanks but I have the files.

I decided some months ago that it was OK for the underdogs web site to distibute that very old version of TacOps. Since then I have had a good number of people tell me that they purchased the current version after trying out the version from underdogs.

The difference is that I gave my permission to the owner of the underdogs site. As you probably know, Copyright is not lost simply because a person or company obtains something - even for free - from an authorized or unathorized source. When copyrighted material is distributed, each link in the pipeline has to get permission before passing the item on any further.

Anyway ... everything is OK now.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

That's the site! Couldn't think of it offhand, found it through a search engine. I was more referring to to the 'hacked' files they had posted, rather than the site. The weird stuff in the zip files alarmed me, as I remember reading something about this one site remaining up while others were being forced to close. I figured they had permission based on the article to post the software, or they would have been shut down also - so why did they post hacked files? (Rhetorical question)