crews

schott

Years ago I played a game called Squad Leader, perhaps some of you out there know of it. Great game. Anyway, one thing you had to do in that game, if a tank was hit, was roll to see if the crew survived. I've wondered why crews never survive in TacOps. Then, throughout all of this discussion about depleted uranium, I heard a description of what happens to a vehicle when it is hit by one of these warheads. Sounds like it would pretty much take care of anyone in the vehicle. Of course troops in APCs sometimes survive in TacOps. Are crews too negligible a force to be considered?

There would usually be survivors of a tank kill - at least in most modern US and Western European tanks.

TacOps doesn't game tank survivors mainly because they would rapidly clutter up the map with little game relevant purpose.

In the real world, crews of disabled tanks seldom if ever continue fighting as dismounted infantry. They either stick with their vehicle awaiting its recovery or they try to escape and evade back to their parent unit.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Steel Panthers has surviving crew dismount and run to the rear. It is more of an annoyance than it is a positive addition to the gaming experience.

If you could bind them into squads, evacuate them, or put them into tanks that are short crewman, it would be more realistic, but probably less enjoyable, so I prefer the way TacOps handles the probelem.