Civilians?

I was just wondering if you ever gave thought to model civilians? Maybe some could play a big role like for instance some Germans are hiding in a French town with US entering the town and some civilians come running out of a house and the Germans misidentify the civilians as American units and start to open fire on them thus giving their positions away. Just a thought smile.gif (Probably wouldnt be modeled because this was probably a rarity)

[This message has been edited by WWIIRulz (edited 01-15-2000).]

Wargamers are already to blame for school massacres and I don't think the less-than-marginal tactical value of scurrying civilians would do much for the genre.

Next thing you know this will be an "assault game" and you will have to register it with your local PD.

Another sign of pre-release stress disorder, I fear. Dont't know how much longer we can hold... BTS, do you copy?

Die when Allied TacAir conducted sweeps of roads and important crossroads etc.

Number of dead civilians killed SOLELY by Allied air activity versus railroads in the run-up to D-day... 12,000...

Just read up on the casualties civilians incurred during Normandy or the Bulge to Allied strategic or tac air strikes. Pretty high.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Civilians normally did one of two things when a battle came to town: hide or run.

Depending on circumstances, running wasn't practical or (stubborn folks in mind) desired. When they had to hide it was usually in the basement (if there was one) or some sort of closet. I am sure LOTS of civilians died in the confused fighting that occured during "urban" warfare. However, we aren't going to model this as it is militarilly insignificant. Just like we aren't modeling other things of this sort, civilians won't find their way into CM.

Steve

I remember reading about a house-owner in Arnhem who went out on a ladder during an infantry assault (after the preparatory bombardment had stopped) to repair the roof of his house...

Gees grandpa, bullets can kill you as dead as arty wink.gif.. Some folks are just TOO stubborn wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers