SPOILER: Minor AI tactics

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

-

-

-

OK. In VoT, where I have triumphed in my second go as Germans (after a humiliation the first time), I note a couple of things the AI as doing which might be denounced as "gamey" if used by a human.

Scouting with bazookas- a definite no-no to the groggier gamer. AI does it all the time. Also, it's already been noted that FOs move up with the front lines (in this scenario they are Public Enemy #1 so I appreciate the opportunity to target them with everything in sight).

What bugged me was near the end: the assault on Plomville had clearly failed and the PzV was in the town, when a last ditch charge was mounted by a bunch of infantry. As they were cut to pieces, I found that it was ALL headquarters units- the company HQ and two or three Platoon HQs.

It would be difficult to picture veteran rifle squads doing this under the circumstances, so it was surprising to see the entire Officer's Club turn out for a banzai charge....

The AI conducted its assault admirably, overall, and these were minor issues. AI seems to have the attitude of the "gamey" players- if I got it, I'm gonna use it- rather than the "grognard" ethic of only using units in a historically realistic manner.

This may be too difficult to correct, or at least not worth the effort. I thought it was worth noting, since there has been considerable discussion here in the past of what constitutes "gamey" behavior.

I agree that the AI could use a little tweaking as far as how it handles FO's, anti-tank teams and HQ units. Last night as the Germans, I had a nice little ambush set up for any units that made it over the wall and into the village and lo and behold the only unit to make it so far was the company HQ which was quickly dispatched. Leading from the front is one thing, but being the only one to make the charge is another. And yes, the AI was probing with 'zooks and the spotters weren't far behind.

Oh well, minor complaints in terms of the overall success of the game.

Hi,

I've seen the headquarters squads do the same thing in CE. When playing the Germans I had three sqauds, an HMG and a panzer faust in the church as well a stug parked just outside. To my amazement some american troops tried to storm the building. They were wiped out to a man. When I checked the "bodies" I found out the american troops were two platoon HQs and a company HQ.

One of the platoon HQs actually made it into the church before being wiped out.

I chuckled over this for a bit, but it did strike me as a bit gamey.