Does vehicle camo patterns affect sighting?

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Taking Thursday night's POTD on CMHQ as an example, the camo pattern on the JdPzIVs seem to blend in nicely with the surroundings. My question is--Does CM model a "stealthiness" modifier according to camo patterns in enemy sighting purposes and vice versa?

I mean, does the CM engine check the camo pattern of a particular vehicle at a particular location for any additional "stealthiness" or are the textures purely cosmetic?

I'm sure this feature would require a lot of additional number crunching by the CPU, but it would add to the cool factor of CM's immersion effect.

Although you may not believe it, the pre-war French Army did a lot of studies in the use of camoflage for tanks. To make a long story short, due to the fact that any tank that ends up moving will cause so much mud and dirt to stick to the hull that any camoflage will be obliterated within a few metres of moving. Camo is only really good to hide from long range spotting. Indeed, the French Army discovered that painting irregular patterns on tanks, over natural camoflage, (like they do with some naval vessels) would cause confusion about angles and size of the tank, which could possible cause the first few shots fired to miss. Camoflage to hide in a battle the size of CM just won't work to the extent proposed.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

If spotting were somewhat dependant on camo patterns then we wouldn't be able to use all these neat tweaked textures. The AI would go crazy with some of the crazy ones I've made up!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, but just wasn't sure. But you got to admit, it would make the game more interesting wouldn't it?

Maybe, we're still a couple of years away from having computers powerful enough to simulate this. frown.gif