Newbie needs help

I just downloaded the CM Demo and I am having a problem with the game shutting down during play, and returning to windows. Can someone tell me why it is doing this and how I can fix it?

I am running a 200MHzMMX 64MGRam Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 ver.1 video card

[which I updated before using the Demo] Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound Card. Thanks for any help you can provide

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

What do you mean exactly by saying, "shutting down during play and returning to windows"? Does the game crash, lock-up the computer, or just minimize?

Your specs are a wee bit shallow for the game. It probably doesn't run well anyway, does it?

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Guest Pham

If it's caused by hitting escape and minimizing the game, I get a crash too(as do others). The solution for now is not to minimize during gameplay.

If it's crashing to desktop, make sure the following are up to date or checked: DirectX, Video Drivers, sound drivers.

If it was another problem, ignore this advice and post more details on the problem.

OBG, system specs from the specs page:

Pentium (P5) 166MHz w/3D card

Pentium (P5) 200MHz w/o 3D card

32MB of RAM

100MB of Hard Disk Space (est.)

CD ROM drive

DirectX 6.0 compatible video card

DirectX 6.0 compatible sound card

28.8 modem for multiplayer

And I can attest that CM plays fine on a 200Mhz MMX with a 3D card, as that was my old system.

I've had a similar occurrence.

I've found out that if another program kicks in (ie something working on a timer such as a weekly viral scan) while I'm playing CM it kicks me to the desktop.

If I then click on the CM tab at the bottom of the screen it takes me back successfully, although i usually have to press "play" as the action is paused, and occassionally have graphics glitches (often a bluey flickering over some of the terrain squares).

Apart from that however, the game continues fine.