Old vets of board VS Newbies

Guest Mortiis

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty wierd stuff.

I dont work so the "getting slapped around at work thing" was not only weak and unfunny but non-applicable.

As for the little "how dare they take off.." sendup, well I dont besmirch anyone enjoying their success. But go the whole nine yards and then enjoy it. Hire some help if your shorthanded and stop acting like a charity case. Big Time's the name, Getting free helps the game.

Mannheim. Dont get your cammie undies in a bunch. Take everything I say here with a ton of salt. I dont really care THAT much.

Now I have to go do some off the books consulting work so I will have money to give the topless dancers.

Lewis

Hey Lewis,

I've been reading this thread with interest. May I ask you a couple of questions? Sorry, I'm just not up to date on your credentials. Help me out. Bear with me a bit.

1. Have you ever been on a beta test team? If so, which game(s)?

2. Have you ever written a nice list of suggestions for what you think are innacuracies or areas for improvement and submitted them to BTS?

3. Do you have a problem with all the beta testers, or just some of them? Do you know who the beta testers are? Have you talked or written them?

Or do you simply have a bone to pick with some of the beta test team?

4. Are you an experienced programmer, who knows just what you can and can't do within the limits of computer wargaming or do you subscribe to the statement, "Oh you can simulate anything with a computer game?"

5. Are you perhaps angry because you were not included in the beta test team? Do you feel that if you had been, none of the problems you seem to find in the game would be there?

Would you answer those for me? It would help me to get a better grip on the validity of your statements.

Thank you,

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 07-31-2000).]

Bill, what a calm, rational, reasoned response requesting legitimate information that might enable you to make an informed decision about the validity of the post.

Pity it will be taken out of context, responded to partially if at all and generally treated as if it's of no relevance to the discussion. biggrin.gif

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Bill, what a calm, rational, reasoned response requesting legitimate information that might enable you to make an informed decision about the validity of the post.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really

He should be called Mild Bill Milder.

Lewis

Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

1. Have you ever been on a beta test team? If so, which game(s)?

I was on a R&D team and an EMD team. It was reality an not games though.

2. Have you ever written a nice list of suggestions for what you think are innacuracies or areas for improvement and submitted them to BTS?

I never write nice anythings. Mostly what you see here is what you get.

3. Do you have a problem with all the beta testers, or just some of them? Do you know who the beta testers are? Have you talked or written them?

[

I got no problems. Only solutions.

4. Are you an experienced programmer, who knows just what you can and can't do within the limits of computer wargaming or do you subscribe to the statement, "Oh you can simulate anything with a computer game?"

I am an experienced electrical engineer that knows what can and cant be accomplished with all transistor based electronics.

5. Are you perhaps angry because you were not included in the beta test team? Do you feel that if you had been, none of the problems you seem to find in the game would be there?

Angry? no. I am Mr Sunshine. Yes to much of the rest.

[b}

Would you answer those for me? It would help me to get a better grip on the validity of your statements.

Most of my statements dont have any validity but if you grip some please to let me know OK?

Thank you,

Hey, your very welcome.

Lewis' reply in it's entirety: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Really ... He should be called Mild Bill Milder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Pity it will be taken out of context, responded to partially if at all and generally treated as if it's of no relevance to the discussion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...responded to partially if at all ...

Joe

EDITED COMMENT: Opps, my bad, he did respond ... I'll let you judge if the reply was responsive.

[This message has been edited by Joe Shaw (edited 07-31-2000).]

ENOUGH!!!!!!

Damn people. Here we are bitching like school girls about irrelevant issues. First I don't believe that anyone here can besmirch Fionn or Maddmatt and some of the others. Have you looked at the other threads. People are typing "Thank you BTS" "You changed my life BTS" "YOU SAVED WARGAMING BTS". Whatever. True or not it is honest praise and these guys were involved. Is the game perfect, no. But BTS is one of the few companies trying to make it so. Also ever heard of the Meta Campaign. Hmmmmmm.. Fionn. Everheard of updating graphics and sound everyday or maybe even MadPacks? Hmm.. MaddMatt. Okay now I happened to have a friend who stumbled over the game about two weeks before it came out. I played the demo for 2 weeks and then ordered the game AFTER it came out. I am not a oldie and well not a true newbie anymore either. So can we just all get along. Yes there is some stupid people on both sides. Yes some things are said that we regret. Yes there are some idiots and yes it's probably going to get worse as more people play. It's not about who is old or new but who is accepted. I would rather be considered a regular contributor than an oldie or a newbie. Did we all hear that a contributor? Hopefully of positive statements. I really hope this thread disappears soon. Email me or post comments the address is in the profile I am always happy to hear what anyone has to say about my opinions. And I am not blindly defending Fionn and the others I really don't even know them but it seems like the attack was unwarranted on them. Thank you ALL for a good forum to this point and for to continue we are going to need you ALL.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

[This message has been edited by Priest (edited 07-31-2000).]

Quick comment:

Lewis said " I am an experienced electrical engineer that knows what can and cant be accomplished with all transistor based electronics."

Ok. However, a computer game is NOT "transistor-based electronics".

So, saying that you know how to manipulate transistor-based electronics means sweet FA when talking about CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Quick comment:

Lewis said " I am an experienced electrical engineer that knows what can and cant be accomplished with all transistor based electronics."

Ok. However, a computer game is NOT "transistor-based electronics".

So, saying that you know how to manipulate transistor-based electronics means sweet FA when talking about CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether you like it or not, software (what you call a computer game) is just programming switches on and off. The CPU is just arrays of transistors. The screens pixels are being turned on and off too.

I run my copy of CM on a computer. How bout you? Software literally IS manipulating a transistor based product. You boolean fool.

Lewis

Guest Mirage2k

I think what Fionn meant was that developing and programming a piece of computer software was different than physical electronic constructions, and that bragging about your ability on one field is like bringing up your knowledge of carpentry when trying to help the plumber fix the kitchen sink.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Guest Big Time Software

OK, time to shut this one down. Lewis, as usual, has contributed little other than pissing a bunch of people off. And as usual, that bunch includes us. Lewis, I still don't understand something...

You obviously know more than we do, or anybody else for that matter. You also know how to manipulate those binary thingies so well. And lord knows you can test better than anybody else. You also seem to have great insight into how we should run our business too. So with absolutely no real work filling up your day (other than figuring out new innovative ways to piss people off), why don't you make your own game and prove to the world that you are as good as you think you are? Either that or you could just show a little respect for those that have actually done all of the above in practice, not just in their heads.

Argh...

As for the old vs. new poster debate. As far as we are concerned, there is no debate. Someone picking the game up fresh, with no preconceptions, can offer a suggestion or opinion just as valid as someone who has been playing it for months. The only thing to keep in mind is that "valid" doesn't directly translate into "usefull" or "correct". I think what gets some of the older posters a little ticked off is when these assumptions are made by the newbie poster. But as a reminder... some of our oldest posters used to make the same mistakes when they first started, so it is just a natural part of the experience smile.gif

Steve