Maptool questions

stevel

Two questions on the new maptool:

1) Why is "road" a terrain (ie visibility) and not a movement cost? How is a "road" different from "clear" as relates to visibility? Seems to me that a road square should be a move cost and is perhaps 125% of the cost to move across a clear square.

2) Not clear how to use Hi/Lo terrain to effect hills and valleys. While this may seem rather stupid, I don't know how the game engine knows a square defined as hi/lo is "up a hill" or "down a valley"?

steveL

> Why is "road" a terrain (ie visibility) and not a movement cost?

That is simply how the game engine is coded. Road terrain is tracked as a terrain type 'mask variable' rather than a numerical movecost factor.

> How is a "road" different from "clear" as relates to visibility?

Its not different. Visibility is the same for a unit in unmodified road terrain as it is for unmodified clear terrain. The main difference between road and clear terrain is that units can travel faster on a road than on clear terrain.

By the way - movecost also effects visbility. The rougher the terrain, the less visible a unit will be - plus a modification for whether a unit is stationary, moving, and or firing.

> Not clear how to use Hi/Lo terrain to effect hills and valleys. While this

>may seem rather stupid, I don't know how the game engine knows a

>square defined as hi/lo is "up a hill" or "down a valley"?

'hi/lo' is just the title of a checkbox control in the map tool. There is no terrain type in TacOps that is 'hi/lo' terrain. The 'hi/lo' control title is meant to indicate that the check box controls whether a given terrain cell will be coded as 'low' terrain or as 'high' terrain.

I don't consider the map tool to be finished yet so if you get ideas on ways to improve it please send them to me via majorh@mac.com.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

>'hi/lo' is just the title of a checkbox >control in the map tool. There is no >terrain type in TacOps that is 'hi/lo' >terrain. The 'hi/lo' control title is meant >to indicate that the check box controls >whether a given terrain cell will be coded >as 'low' terrain or as 'high' terrain.

So does this mean that unchecked, the square defaults to "low" and checked becomes "hi"?

steveL

Not exactly.

When you first create a map, all terrain on the map is low terrain. To change one or more cells to high terrain you checkmark the 'Hi/Low' control button and then click and or drag on the map. Where you click will become high terrain.

If you later want to change high terrain to low terrain - you again checkmark the 'Hi/Low' control button and then click and or drag on high terrain cells. The high terrain cells will be 'reversed' to be low terrain cells.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com