Newbie Questions

Major Belles

Okay... although I'm not new to BTS games, I'm new to TacOps. I've got a few questions. Firstly, I'm having trouble constantly with moving a Bradley/other APC into combat, it gets blasted to shreds, and the infantry just sits until it gets plastered by the off-board artillery. The infantry moves very slowly, so it's not able to get out of the artillery fire; am I doing something wrong, or is this realistic? (Any advice?) Also, do units (mainly infantry) get slower under fire? If I shoot from woods, does it affect my firing, or just firing against me? Another thing; every once in a while alot (about fifty) artillery shots appear on my screen with this space age sound. What's that? If you hit the artillery spotters (little gray squares with crosses) with artillery, can they get eliminated?

The Major

Note. Just to cause no confusion, I'm no real major like MajorH; it's a title acquired at the BTS Tactical Air Combat Games discussion forum (games are HIGHLY advised).

The scale in Tacops means that infantry move very slowly. Combine this with artillary surpression and they won't move at all on the map. Try to only deploy infantry in good cover and be sure to have your APCs advance behind your tanks. Shooting from woods does not affect firing. The little grey squares are target refrence points smile.gif. Artillary can only shoot at areas spotted by your guys or target refrence points (I think). Artillary spotter units just provide increased accuracy. The space age sound only happens if you accidently hit an alien saucer.

> Firstly, I'm having trouble constantly with moving a

> Bradley/other APC into combat, it gets blasted to shreds ...

You may need to be sneakier and more cautious when moving. Try to avoid moving in open terrain that offers long range observation. Make more use of covering terrain and travel in larger groups.

> ... and the infantry just sits until it gets plastered by the

> off-board artillery.

Units don't move automatically in TacOps even when under fire. Also, dismounted infantry units receiving continuous effective arty fire usually get suppressed to the point where they can not move - even if you do give them orders.

> The infantry moves very slowly, so

> it's not able to get out of the artillery fire; am I doing

> something wrong, or is this realistic?

Realistic. Slow infantry movement is kind of relative. Remember a TacOps turn only lasts 60 seconds.

> Also, do units (mainly infantry) get slower under fire?

Yes. Plus when dismounted infantry receive effective direct fire they often become suppressed and dump all pending movement orders. If that happens, they won't move again until you give them new orders.

> If I shoot from woods, does it affect my firing, or just

> firing against me?

Units firing from woods are generally more difficult to spot and significantly more difficult to hit. The fire that you are sending out of the woods is not affected by your being in the woods.

> Another thing; every once in a while alot (about fifty)

> artillery shots appear on my screen with this space age

> sound. What's that?

That is the impact signature and sound effect of a fire strike by an OPFOR Multiple Rocket Launcher Battalion. It basically blows away an area the size of a 1000 meter grid square.

> If you hit the artillery spotters (little gray squares with

> crosses) with artillery, can they get eliminated?

No. Those are not units. Those are target reference points.

From the TacOps User Guide ...

10.3 Artillery Target Reference Points. Artillery target reference points (TRPs) are points on the map where artillery and mortar fire has been preregistered. TRPs usually provide faster response to calls for fire and increased accuracy for the first volley. Artillery TRPs can be created during game play or a block of them may be provided for setup at the beginning of a game. To use an artillery TRP, open the Artillery Support window, select an ongoing fire mission or mark a new target, and then shift the fire mission to the TRP using the Shift To TRP button (see previous section). Off map artillery units can not use TRPs set by on map units. On map artillery units can not use TRPs set by off map units

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

For me, APC's are always best for what's in them. If you drop off a mechanized infantry team somewhere, be sure and have the M113 close by in case your soldiers need to be evacuated in a hurry!. Say...the USMC has a wonderful APC that is called a AAVP7 and I have found that it is very well armored and fast (according to the TacOps model). In my opinion, it is much more robust than the M113 of the Canadian and US Armies.

Best of luck to you, I have found that the more you work with TacOps, the more fun it becomes.

[This message has been edited by rich4421972 (edited 09-09-2000).]