Change of Pace

Warriors All!

In the midst of all this carnage called CM, I have prepared a small, somewhat simple scenario called, "Periers, Roaring to the Rescue!"

This is not an overly complicated battle that will take hours to finish. Rather it is a fun scenario, something to try between washing your hands for supper and sitting down at the table.

("I'll be there in just a minute dear, checking my E-Mail!" wink.gif)

You are Ernst Barkmann, another German tank ace. Your commander has heard of a few German wounded being held prisoner right behind US front lines.

He tells you simply to borrow another Panther (yours is being repaired) and to go break the US line, grab the wounded and bring them back.

Simple thing to do...or is it? It is based on an actual rescue effected by Barkmann.

It may be just too easy, but then it might not rolleyes.gif.

If you'd like to try it, head on over to Madmatt's hangout http://combathq.thegamers.net, go to the CM Scenario Depot and grab it for a fun quick play.

While you're in the neighborhood, stop next door at Wild Bill's Raiders "Boots N' Tracks" section and see what we have going on with good old Combat Mission.

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Once there, click on Boots N' Tracks and just us out if you've a mind to.

Rescue those guys. Bring 'em out...and yourself too biggrin.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Sounds good Kunel....

I'll give it a whirl as soon as my Game arrives in the mail... cool.gif

Good to see you are involved with this Game... smile.gif

Mark "Waylaid" Mitchell

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 07-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 07-14-2000).]

Wild Bill

Just a thought turned into a request for you. Could you put your mind in creating a realistic (historical scenario)where one side has been ordered to conduct a withdrawal and that while doing so, its is being attacked? I would like to practice retreat or break off under fire if such thing really happened? Can do?

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy

Stefan, check out Midnight Madness at Prum. It is one of my scenarios that portrays one US infantry unit being relieved by another on the front line in the middle of a cold, miserable snowy night when the Germans launch an surprise night attack.

This battle actually did take place near Prum during WW2.

It is on the Rugged Defense CM Site

http://home.wanadoo.nl/edwin.vos/cm/cm.htm

Here is the background so you'll have an idea of what it portrays.

Read it over. While not exactly what you are mentioning, it might work till I can get one done like that.

And there is another one similar in the works right now. Not sure where it will end up but I'll let you know.

BACKGROUND OF SCENARIO

Title: Midnight Madness at Prüm

Type: German attack vs US Army Defend

Date: February 6th, 1945

Weather: snow

Terrain: Light snow

Turns: 25

Author: Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

Scenario Description:

By early February 1945, most of the Allied forces had penetrated into Germany and were approaching the Rhine River. During that time another "hold in place" order came down from SHAEF. The miserable winter had turned most highways and roads into either quagmires or skating rinks.

The advantage of Allied mobility was lost to the ravages of the Western European winter. In Third Army's sector of action, it was the same. Even General Patton reluctantly agreed to a temporary halt in the action.

During the struggle to get to Prüm, a key location in the German West Wall defenses in southern Germany, there had been a lot of hard fighting. The severity of the winter weather required extra effort and occasional reliefs to front line troops for a day or two.

Such was the case in the early morning hours of February 6th. Arriving at about 4:00 AM, 2nd Battalion of the 90th Division's 358th Regiment was to begin relieving units of the 3rd Battalion, 22nd Regiment, 4th Infantry Division at Brandescheid. It was a memorably miserable night; cold, black, with hard falling half sleet, half snow.

The men making the relief had walked four hours in this downpour and were tired and soaked to the skin. As the weary units shifted, little attention was given to keeping the defensive positions on their toes. They became careless.

It was at that moment that the Germans struck from the south. German Volksgrenadiers and engineers from the 326th Volks Grenadier Division, backed by a few pieces of armor from the tanks of the Panzer Jager battalion of the 2nd Panzer Division, suddenly attacked out of the darkness.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Thanks Bill - willco on the matter and check out MM Plum. Should be interesting but please drop me a notice when and if you get a withdrawal type of scenario done....

BJ - retreat, against those few troop you have .... Now that wouldn't be fun anyway. Why don't you just send me your surrender flag so your amis can go home. Its been to easy to date! biggrin.gif

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy