speaking of pershings

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Just got another letter from my Great Uncle George detailing some of his tank experience. just gonna direct quote him.

"the answer to your question about the sherman tank with the 76mm rifle. From my point of view it was very fast, with the 500 horse engine and 5 speed transmissions. It was very maneuverable in the snow and ice. There were times when you got stuck and had to be able to rock back and forth to get free.

At some point I lost a tank to a tiger and went back to AAchen to pick up another. They had just received their first pershing and offered it to me. After driving it for an hour or so I decided the automatic transmission was not practical in the ice and snow and took another sherman. This is the one I lost at bastogne. "

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

At least two tank losses, and Uncle George is still here?!?

Thank the lucky stars...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that! Yesterday, the History Channel ran the "Weapons of War" episode on the panzers. They interviewed a German fellow who had 5 (count 'em 5!!!) tanks shot out from under him. eek.gif Despite that, he lost only 1 KIA and a few wounded from his crews. Pretty remarkable, I think.

Rob www.siteonsound.com

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for that little story. However, I would have to check my dates, but I don't think there was even one Pershing in theater during or before the Bulge. Might have just slipped on the sequence? Lord knows my memory isn't good for even last year, not to mention 50 wink.gif

The crew that lost 5 tanks is actually not all that uncommon for even the US. As CM shows, there are SO MANY ways to lose a tank to enemy action and yet still have the crew survive. Even more to lose them to non-combat!

Steve

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Well he didn't "actually" loose the 2nd one to enemy fire, he sank it trying to cross a frozen river. Outside of bastogne. I think this summer I'm gonna go down and interview him.