A targeting bug (spoiler for VoT)

During the planning for turn 4 in a PBEM game in VoT, I had a bunch of units target area fire on the house that sits on top of hill 216 to try and knock out the artillery observer inside. When I recieved the movie for playback, before I hit play, I selected a few units to just ensure that I had given them the right orders and to know who to watch during the film.

Anyhow, I selected the AT bunker on top of hill 209 and noticed that its area fire order had been moved to the EXTREME southwest corner of the map, located behind the thick forest on the German's left flank. This is not an order I gave to the gun. In fact, it's impossible to give the bunker that spot to target since it does not have LOS to it. I have the saved game file for anyone to look at.

I'm just curious to know why or how my order could have been changed (even before playback) and if it's something that I need to be concerned about. i.e. Is this a one time glitch or a bug?

Thanks for any help or for pointing out the obvious in case I missed it.

pritzl

Guest Big Time Software

Did your bunker actually fire at that extreme spot, or was the "target line" just drawn there while your bunker actually fired at the right spot?

Charles

Guest Robert Hall

I have noticed exactly the same type of thing with both smoke and area fire orders. Does not seem to effect what happens during the turn though and the original fire orders still apply.

Robert

I just watched the film again and it turns out that my bunker did indeed fire at the spot where I ordered him to, so It must be just type of graphical glitch. I didn't notice this previously since I had so much firepower targeting the single building and my bunker switched from area fire to targeting some moving troops on the far right after the first two rounds fired at the building (which was fine with me).

Thanks Charles. I continue to be delighted with how rock solid the code is for this game. You and Steve, as well as all the beta testers, deserve much praise!

pritzl

I have seen a questionable targeting decision by the AI. As the Germans in VoT, it shelled the patch of woods just south of Hill 198. All rounds appeared to be 81mm HE except for 1 smoke at the very end of the barrage.

This happened about turn 5 or 6. At that time, no US units were even as far east as the summit of Hill 198. And it wasn't US fire.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Hi -

I just thought I'd chime in on the targetting issue. I am currently in a blind

PBEM game of VoT. I have twice ordered one of my Shermans to fire smoke at a bunker. Both times when I got to the movie for those turns the tank's targetting line was drawn to the SW corner of the map. Neither time did the tank fire smoke at the bunker.

I have also had my other Sherman, with no fire orders at all (but moving under "Hunt") have a smoke targetting line drawn to the SW corner of the map.

Just out of curiosity, is the SW corner of the map the origin of the map coordinates? This targetting thing is acting like a failure to update the target coordinates from an intial zero state. I would bet that since all the units mentioned so far have not had LOS to the corner, the sticky-ness of the targetting order wears off and then targets of opportunity are being fired at.

Thanks for listening,

------------------

- Hank

Guest ChrisC1009

Ditto with the "HUNT" Command.

Everytime I have issued it, my Shermans target off map in the opposite direction they are to go. It is a smoke target line to the SW corner. It seems to happen with "HUNT" only so far.

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, the SW corner is the zero-origin of the map. As far as I can tell, this is a bug but only in the display of the targeting line. I don't think that actual targeting/firing is affected. But I'm looking into it.

Charles

Hello again -

In my slow moving PBEM game of VoT, I had one of my 105mm Shermans target the SW corner of the map for smoke. I did not order it to do so and I had not given it any movement orders. The tank's turret turned toward that corner and stayed pointed that way for the whole turn. I have the file and can mail to BTS if you want and tell me where to send it.

------------------

- Hank