Newcomer with Questions

Guest Schuggerbaby

Guest Schuggerbaby

I read (nearly) all headlines still on the board but there are some information’s I’m still missing:

1. Will this game find the way to the German market? If yes, will there be any difference between the US and German version. Please don’t get this wrong but we’ve got the very friendly organisation called BPJS here, which likes censorship of games which are “political incorrect” (i.e. Swastikas on the package) or are to bloody (dead soldiers on the field). I do certainly not want to find this game on the German index!

2. I’ve found some posts confusing, so I really didn’t know if there exists a CM Vol. 1 and you are going to make CM Vol. 2? Or am I totally misled and what of CM exists so far is only the demo version with it’s three scenarios?

3. When will this game be released? The readme.dat tells at the end of the year! If this is true, I’m going to have a hard time as an addictive just to play the three scenarios to get my fix. I’m thinking about to give each individual soldier a name to overcome the time until I can play the full version. What are the guys doing who are playing the demo for an even longer time?

4. Is there any possibility to play the CM demo via Internet or just by PBEM? I would really like to play against a human opponent, as the last three scenarios ended with a total victory against the KI. Well, I have to admit that the KI toasted me before several times, so I’m thinking it’s just a trick to make me more self confident and to buy this game.

Lastly I’ve a “tactical” question. My troops (especially my tanks) behave somewhat foolishly. Often they prefer to attack some infantry at 200+ yards, when they have a tank in their LOS which is obviously a more imminent threat and despite I’ve ordered them to attack the tank. Also, when my tank has no LOS to an enemy tank and I order them to move to a firing position and then attack the tank, they prefer to fire at any other target but not the intended target. As PE player I often catch myself to press F8 to switch to the gunner’s position (a futile attempt as I found out). If anyone has a nice hint on that, I will be very thankful ( and hopefully my Tiger will survive the next Last Defence scenario ).

With Regards

Schuggerbaby

Guest Kettle Black

1. You have to order it from BTS. Click the "Order" link to the left.

2. CM vol1 has not been released yet.

3. When it's done. BTS will post an update on the progress end of this month.

4. The demo can only be played by PBEM and "hotseat". Hotseat= 2 persons 1 computer.

5. They always try to target the nearest, biggest threat to themselves. There are some minor bugs in the demo.

Read the links to the left for further info.

Hals und Beinbruch!

Kettle Black

Guest hunt52

Welcome to the club! Here are some answere as best as I can do:

1. The game *will* find it's way to the German market. It is only being sold online at the battlefront.com website, and I'm pretty sure BTS will ship to Germany. I think some of the beta testers (lucky!) live in Germany smile.gif

2. All that is publicly released so far is the beta demo (of build 14 or something). Right now Steve, Charles, and a mysterious Superman are working on getting the full version up and out. CM1, due to be released when it is done, will be the the western front after D-Day, and CM2 will be the eastern front (time period anyone?). All the general public has access to right now is the Beta Demo with the 3 scenarios.

3. The game will be released when Steve and Charles think it is done. Your best guess is as good as mine. It will be at least one more month though. I have been playing since September, and I am going slowly insane. If you havent played anyone by e-mail, that adds a whole new element to the game. The Ai is great - but humans are much more surprising. Also people are beginning to play the scenarios with bizarre additional rules: no tanks, can't use tanks till turn 20, infantry must crawl everywhere and the like.

4. There is not TCP/IP play but that will be included in the first addendum. You can PBEM people. You probably want to find someone who dosen't know all the scenarios by heart to the point where they can recite the OOB (with unit names!) for the Germans in Last Defense by heart... wink.gif )

Once you get into the AI's decision cycle it is pretty easy to beat. It has been made clear on the board that the most recent version of the AI is much much better. As to tanks retargeting, this has also been toned down in the more recent versions (that we can't play frown.gifwink.gif ) If you want a good view of what your tank sees, press "tab and 1" while your tanks is selected to see the TC's view.

Hope this helps a little. Welcome to the board smile.gif

- Bill

Hiya Newbie smile.gif,

Here are some answers, hope they are correct.

1)You won't be able to buy CM in a store, only online. This means the BPJS won't notice a darn thing. Also, CM will have no box (moneysaving) and there won't be dead bodies (because of the framerate). No probs here then.

2)There is no other CM so far then this one. There's been much talking about a vol. 2. please search the board. Yes the BETA-demo with the 3 scenario's is all there is for us yet. There will be a gold-demo when the game is ready.

3)There's no release-date, but prolly this year smile.gif A lot of people are still playing the demo, including me, others build websites (see my topic "FREE FREE FREE"), some create "tweaks" for the demo and there are those that play other games or have a social life smile.gif

4)Yhey MIGHT implement TCP/IP, not sure what is decided.

5)The units will attack a thread more dangerous then the one you think might be. Maybe the LOS was not good enough (bad hit-chance), maybe the inf. had bazoo's, maybe he just didn't feel like it smile.gif. Or it was the AI having a bad day. Remember we are talking beta here...as i understood from Steve/Charles the AI is much MUCH better now and it will therefore kick our butt soon smile.gif

Hope this helps.

PanzerShark

Guest Schuggerbaby

Wow guys, that were very fast replies.

I'm glad to be on the board! I will try to find a E-Mail partner to fight against a human opponent (playing hotseat is quite difficult if the next one playing this i know lives 50 Kilometers away).

Thanks again

Schuggerbaby

To the new guy,

listen to me....run while you have a chance.these men are nuts! As a former Army chaplain..I have been reading these boards ..several times day ..partly out of desperation waitng for the game, but also out of fascination, wondering if it is my duty to have these men certified as PTS sufferers.Suddenly I find that their bizarre ramblings start to make sense and you become hooked ..your sleep and social life suffers.You find yourself playing the same three demos over and over again.You stop eating and ignore your family.Its a plot....

run while you have a chance!!

'The greatest casualty of war is truth!

LOL. I see people are falling over themselves to answer you. Some minor errors in some of the posts though so I'll just clarify.

1. It will be available in Germany but ONLY by mail order. CM will only be available by mail order and won't be sold through shops.

If the BPJS looks too hard into CM CMHQ ( http://combathq.thegamers.net ) will host whatever flags etc they object to so that German players can "upgrade" to the same standard as the US version... I don't know if there will be a German version with swastikas removed etc but if there is you will be able to download the "proper" flags the day you receive the game. You have my word on that.

2. At present only the beta demo has been released. CM2 is a planned sequel set in Russia. It is intended to cover the time period from 1941 to 1945 ( might cover 1940 since I know that Finnish forces will be modelled and it'd be fun to do the Winter War wink.gif )

3. The official word is "When it is ready." Unofficially it is coming along great and there will be a "progress report" at the end of the month.

4. TCP/IP is not enabled in the beta demo and is currently not coded. I think it will only be added via patch after release.

5. As for the AI choosing incorrect targets..

The AI in CM basically fires at the most "effective" target. Effective fire is found by multiplying the cover value in % by the firepower value at that range.

In the beta demo the computer defaults to the target at which most effective fire can be brought whereas it SHOULD default to the nearest target (within reason obviously). This has long since been fixed and you won't find units firing at targets 200 metres away and ignoring one 20 metres away anymore except in exceptional and understandable circumstances.