Question about AFV graphics

Guest grunto

Guest grunto

Hi,

Did you BTS dudes create the AFVs from 1/35 scale Tamaiya kits or something? They look very good. I'm just wondering how you did it or is that a trade secret? I figured if you were building 1/35 scale Tamaiyas that could be time-consuming. Assuming you were using pictures of scale models, is building the model the easy part and creating the graphics even more time-consuming?

Tamaiya isn't the right spelling but hopefully you know what I'm talking about... that japanese company which has been making those 1/35 scale models 'forever.'

yeah it's tamiya...

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/centaur/centaur.htm

Andy

That's a pretty grievous error... (a sherman tank in a camo pattern) Don't think I've ever seen that before. They should have done the panther in olive drab to make it even.

GAFF

[This message has been edited by gaffertape (edited 06-01-2000).]

The explanation of the actual vehicle is as follows:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>During the Second World War, the development of heavy tanks continued at a fevered pitch. To deploy these tanks to the front line, or retrieve them when damaged or broken, the necessity of a large-scale transport vehicle was heightened. In April of 1943, the U.S. started production of "The Dragon Wagon", one of the biggest tank transport vehicles of WWII. Constructed around an armored cabin and a sturdy trailer, it boasted a loading capacity of 40 tons. Also assisting in the transport of boats for river crossing operations, the Dragon Wagon was a great advantage to the advancement of the Allied Forces.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But I for one, don't recall ever seeing any such vehicles in any documented resources of WWII.

Gaffertape said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That's a pretty grievous error... (a sherman tank in a camo pattern) Don't think I've ever seen that before. They should have done the panther in olive drab to make it even.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sherman's were painted camo by the Brits and by the Americans, especially in Italy.

Maximus said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But I for one, don't recall ever seeing any such vehicles in any documented resources of WWII.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am looking at just such a photo, it is from "Sherman in Action", from Squadron/Signal. It is a photo of a Dragon Wagon(M-26) recovering a Sherman KOed near Bastogne in December 1944.

Bil

Guest KwazyDog

Grunto, most of the vehicle textures you see in the game came from photos from a model show Steve and Charles went to some time back. Other had to be made from scratch though, which was very very time consuming..... wink.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

FWIW Shermans were also 'painted' camo in N. Africa by slapping mud over the olive drab paint in a cammo pattern.

By using the native soil they did not have to worry about matching the paint color, just rain! LOL! smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.