Vietnam Mods

I was just wondering, what is the probability of getting my hands on a Sci-Fi/ Fantasy mod, or a Vietnam/ Modern war mod utilizing the CM engine? Are any in the works? Also, what are some of the better sites to D/L skins and such from? Thanks in advance...

------------------

"Childhood's over the moment you know you're going to die." -The Crow

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier!

Never before have I heard of such a crazed and watsed use of the brillaint CM simulation engine. SF?!?! Nuts!

CM2 is currently in the works, and that is on the russain front. Now a more modern virsion IS interesting but is a lose for there are no CURRENT major wars. WW2 has a rich backround, and forces tactical thinking. Iraq would be boring as heck!

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

S By S, this exact request has been asked before and on its surface it seems to make sense. When however you realize that CM was designed from the ground up to only model WWII tactics, equipment and scale, the idea sort of withers.

The game has a closed architecture and the only mods are those of graphics and sounds. There is no way to modify any weapon, unit, terrain or other HARD data as it is all embeded into the main executable itself.

Hacking into that would be VERY frowned upon.

Currently there are also no plans to license out this game engine either. BTS likes to keep it nice and close where they can keep control of it!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-13-2000).]

Second World War statistics and models are hard-coded into the game, so I'm afraid you can't just swap in different kinds of units. The only things that can be (and have been) easily modified are the graphics.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

When is CM2 due BTW? I was just wondering because this game smacks of the tabletop wargame Warhammer 40K- almost right down to vehicular movement and hiding (that's why I mentioned the Sci-Fi). It would easily lend itself to such a scenario! Besides, not everyone is fond of a WW2 setting, but you can't please everyone!

And Iraq would offer various new tactical approaches... you have no cover except for sand dunes, your units could get exhausted more quickly, and gas attacks would be welcomed! A feature that could be implemented in CM2 could be the ability to play various landscapes in quick combat mode, such as deserts, jungles, urban jungles, and tundra just to name a few suggestions!

------------------

"Childhood's over the moment you know you're going to die." -The Crow

Development of CM2 has barely started - it won't be out for a year or more yet. I think CM3 is anticipated to be set in the Mediterranean, so that's when you'll get desert landscape and such.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

...and just to put this puppy completely to rest, if you want a sci-fi version of CM, you'll have to wait for another developer to pick up on the idea. And since BTS is not licensing their game engine, said developer will have to start from scratch. All I know is, if I had a game developer's ear, I sure as heck would try to pitch the idea to him. IMHO it's a million seller, people are bored with RTS and this is just the breath of fresh air the industry needs. Looks like I didn't put it to rest did I?? smile.gif

DeanCo--

The CM engine would be great for 40K. Great game been playing for years. BUT! Not as a CM mod or add-on. Too many different variables, modifiers, armour types etc,, etc, in 40K. Would have to be entirely different game. I think attempt to add-on would take away too much time and resources from improvement/expansion to CM.

Great Idea. Big 40k following in my area. A lot of us have previous SSI attempts but they did not quite get it. Should have been thinking along the lines of CM. A really good 40K PC Game would be a winner. Lets leave CM WWII.