Routed Crews and targeting

I'm hoping the 1.02 build addresses the TacAI. Here's a problem I've been experiencing and according to other players' posts, they are experiencing it likewise.

The situation: Two German trucks and a 20mm AA gun are no farther than 50 meters away from my Churchill Tank behind a dense pine forest. I order the Churchill to hunt forward and specifically target the AA gun, thus bringing it within LOS of the Trucks and AA gun when my turn is underway. (No problem here) The Churchill does as ordered and advances forward just enough to draw a bead on one of the Trucks. The Truck crew bails and heads across the perpendicular cross-hairs of the Churchill. The tank continues to spat out ammunition at the routed crew. So all is good. However, the Crew problem arises. My Churchill continues forward and keeps the Crew in its line of fire. With machine-guns blazing, the Churchill decides the truck crew is to be vaporized. The Churchill creeps forward a tad more and the 20mm AA gun comes to bear on my Tank. This is all occurring on the same turn. I watch my Churchill. The AA gun is firing no-stop at it now, with a plethora of riccochets , shell breaking ups, and failed to penetrates. What does my Tank do? It continues to spat out ammunition at the routed truck crew and totally ignores the AA gun. The crew is over 120 meters away now, the tank is still targeting it, and the AA gun is praying for weak-armor critical hit. The Churchill continues to fire at the routed truck crew for over 25 seconds while being pelleted by the AA gun!

On my next turn. I Order the Churchill to bear its weaponry on the AA gun thus finally taking the AA position out at the start of the next turn.

Something is terribly wrong here. Vehicles could benefit from a Target X - Ignore all else. The trucks and their crews pose 0 threat. The AA Gun needed to be silenced since it's the only item of note that stands a chance of knocking-out the Churchill. The TacAI needs to realize that a routed enemy is no threat at all. The firing unit should switch (after a second or two) to something that's posing a real threat (assuming it's in a respectable range)

Spoiler Alert!!!

Same problem with the Villars scenario. Its almost unplayable as the germans when your armor gets "crewitus". The turrets all swivel to the sides and rear to shoot down crews/broken inf etc.

The game needs to fix this. Its a wonder it got through playtesting. It would be nice to set a 'filter' that makes the armor ignore inf/crews UNLESS the player targets them. Tanks could also have a "threat alert". Meaning that once there appears in a scenario other tanks/ TDs, then they will ignore all non-threat units not firing at them and scan intently for these threats.

This is all SOP and simple drill stuff that isnt being modeled.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sten:

Maybe the Churchill hadn't spotted the 20mm?

Buttoned up with the turret facing another direction _really_ puts a dent in your spotting abilities.

Sten<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sten,

In all fairness, I think if I was inside a tank with 20mm shells bouncing off it for 30 seconds, I would hear something. ;p

I agree lack of stickiness is a problem. Although I'm sure in all fairness to Steve and Charles, it is a very difficult thing to get 'right'. A bit too sticky and we would all complain that it doesn't properly defend itself when a more dangerous target arrives.

Chris