No high quality smoke w/ V2

What I said!

The high quality smoke doesn't work with a Voodoo 2 apparently. The compatible smoke does but when I switch it to high quality the smoke just disappears. I'm actually starting to consider cancelling my pre-order. First the resolution is smaller and Charles simply said it wasn't finding my graphics card and now the smoke. I had no trouble with the resolution in the beta demo so it makes absolutly no sense when the final code works worse. I realize the smoke is probably a driver issue and it's my fault.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have:

PowerMac 6500/250

96 MB

12 MB Voodoo 2 1000 w/ latest reference drivers

------------------

"Guys the editor is HELLA COOL and you can make it sing like a 2 dollar whore errr never mind that reference..."

-Madmatt

My website!

Guest Big Time Software

The smoke is a known bug in the Voodoo 2. There's nothing we can do about that. It is the main reason we provided the "fast and compatible" smoke graphics option. Are you using that?

The enforced 640x480 improves framerate on the Voodoo on a Mac, especially the older ones. RAVE (the Mac 3D system software) does not do a good job of allowing CM to know exactly which type of voodoo it's running on, so we have to make a general policy for that case.

I really recommend that you buy an ATI 3D card for your Mac. Voodoo just doesn't work very well.

Charles

Guest tom w

OK!

thanks Charles that all makes sense..

The Beige G3 (No add on Video Card) does not do the smoke and fire justice...

BUT the G3 (333mHz) laptop ROCKS!, better video handling capability.

Thanks for the update and the official word on the Voodoo 2 card.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

The smoke is a known bug in the Voodoo 2. There's nothing we can do about that. It is the main reason we provided the "fast and compatible" smoke graphics option. Are you using that?

The enforced 640x480 improves framerate on the Voodoo on a Mac, especially the older ones. RAVE (the Mac 3D system software) does not do a good job of allowing CM to know exactly which type of voodoo it's running on, so we have to make a general policy for that case.

I really recommend that you buy an ATI 3D card for your Mac. Voodoo just doesn't work very well.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand.

Is there any way I can change the enforced resolution. I had no trouble running it in the beta demo and it really would seem a shame to be restricted to this when I KNOW my computer can handle it.

------------------

"Guys the editor is HELLA COOL and you can make it sing like a 2 dollar whore errr never mind that reference..."

-Madmatt

My website!

Guest tom w

"Is there any way I can change the enforced resolution "

I don't think so Colin. I tried too.

I have tried on the Beige G3 Desktop and it will ONLY default to 640x480 no choice, no other options

But the G3 laptop has no problem at 1024x768 and it looks great with the GOOD smoke and fire and ALL!

I know what you are saying, the Beta worked but why not the Gold demo?

I suspect the Gold Demo seems to "talk" to (address) the Mac video software and and hardware differently than the Beta Demo.

I think we are out of luck.

I guess we better save up for the ATI 3D card?

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

I understand.

Is there any way I can change the enforced resolution. I had no trouble running it in the beta demo and it really would seem a shame to be restricted to this when I KNOW my computer can handle it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is there any way I can change the enforced resolution. I had no trouble running it in the beta demo and it really would seem a shame to be restricted to this when I KNOW my computer can handle it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll examine this issue more, but I don't think there's a lot we can do about it, given the limitations of Apple's RAVE software and the somewhat kludgy nature of many of the drivers for Voodoo on the Mac. Sorry about that.

Charles

Has anyone tried this with a Voodoo 3? I have a Rev A beige G3 (just 2 megs VRAM), I was planning on picking up a video card soon. I think I would prefer a Voodoo 3 (maybe even wait for the Voodoo 4/5) but if CM will only show all the bells and whistles with an ATI card, I guess I'll go with that. Anyway, had anyone given this a shot yet?

Ben