I think we need a Mod Manager....

.. on the pc. I love the mods, don't get me wrong, they are amazing. But it is getting increasingly difficult to manage them. I alone have over 450 megs worth now! I place them all in folders, named accordingly and know more or less which one goes where, but it does get rather confusing.. For instance my mate has the rubble texture, I have a black hole type thing. He has sudued extra green, I like the spotty yellow/green blend. I wouldn't mind, but I can't remember which mod does what... A manager of sorts would be just what the doctor ordered.. Thanks for listening.

[This message has been edited by phil stanbridge (edited 12-09-2000).]

As the developer of the CM Mod Manager, I believe it's ready, I've been using it for 2 months now. It is being tested by some people on the board as we speak.

Any Mod in a .zip file can be used by the ModMgr (it shouldn't be unzipped) but the real benifit comes from Mods that are created (well, actually packaged) by the ModMgr. Features like Graphic and Sound Previews, Description, Author, and Version Info are all stored in the Mod (still a .zip file) if it is created with the ModMgr.

If the Mod is just a generic zip of BMP's and WAV's ModMgr will be nothing nore than a WinZip Extraction utility. So solicit your favourite Mod Designers to package the Mods with ModMgr to gain the extra features(well , when it's released that is.)

My goal with the Mod Manager has been to DEMAND a standard on the Mod Designers to make it easier on the users. Matt has convinced me that it's a probably a good idea to change DEMAND to at least lowercase demand. It's only thru the user community (that's you guys) that we can eventually standardize CM Mods...