Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Artilery and Suport Weapons -- VOT -- Spoiler

One question, one really cool thing:

In VOT, was moving into town as the Americans, the AI had placed a wooden MG bunker in town between two buildings, not a bad place, I couldn't really get tanks in position to shoot at it for fear of 'shrecks and AT guns. I did manage to get a platoon of inf and a flamethrower to the otherside of the building the MG was behind.:

<-- North

| |-------------

|

| |-------------

| | /--\ ---- ----

| | |bu| |bu| |bu|

| | \--/ ---- ----

| | MG

| | /--\

| | |bu|

| | \--/

platoon +

flame

("bu" is "building")

Now, I guess I could have charged the MG, but my flame had already taken one casulty, didn't want it to get dead. So, on a whim, I flamed the building behind the MG, hoping if it caught fire the fire would spread. It did! I knocked out the MG by setting the building behind it on fire. How cool is that?? I love this game!

Sorry.

My question is regarding the 105 gun. As I recall reading somewhere (an article by Fionn on CMHQ?) the size of a shell is only one factor in its effectiveness. The angle of attack matters too. A shell comming in at 90 degrees should be more effective than one comming in at 30. This is what makes mortors so effective. But, the 105 sherman gun has the same blast rating at the 105 arty. They are the same gun, but the sherman, which is direct fire with a low tragtory should do less damage. Is this modled? Is it just not in the blast rating? Is it just too nit-picky for anyone to care about? Thanks!

--Chris

--edited for ascii graphics

[This message has been edited by Maastrictian (edited 05-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Maastrictian (edited 05-16-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Chris,

Wow, that was a really cool place for the AI to place that sucker. Never seen it do that before! And pretty slick way of taking it out too smile.gif

The differences are factored in outside of the Blast Effect since the shell is basically (exactly?) the same and therefore in theory it should have the same lethality. But the main difference is that an artillery round is likely to yield a treeburst in woods, which a HE round is not (shell skipping aside smile.gif). Other factors such as accuracy and kenetic energy are also different.

Steve

Maastrictian said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I flamed the building behind the MG, hoping if it caught fire the fire would spread. It did! I knocked out the MG by setting the building behind it on fire. How cool is that??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's quite cool. Very good idea smile.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm