Capture the Flag Play Balance

Guest Mikeman

Guest Mikeman

I was wondering if the "Capture The Flag" scenarios were tested much for balanced play. I realize that lethality points are a good rough estimate, but were the scenarios actually tested out by equal opponents a time or two and adjustments made based on the results?

My PBEM opponent seems to feel that OPFOR needs to have 4,000+ more lethality points than the U.S. side for balanced play in the USMC Flag scenario. This is based on his comparison and evaluation of the OOB's.

This is approximately the value of three M1 tank companies, and a 19% increase in OPFOR lethality over the default OOB. Could the lethality points be off by that much?

What I'm really hoping to hear is that the Flag scenarios were thoroughly tested for play balance. I could then insist that my opponent use the default force. Until then I will defer to him since I think he is more familiar with the capabilities of modern weapons systems than myself.

Mikeman out.

Guest MajorH

Those scenarios have been played since 1994 and this is the first question about their balance so far smile.gif.

4000 extra points seem like a lot to me unless you are not allowing OPFOR to have thermal sights and improved ATGMs.

However, I suggest that if your opponent wants 4000 more points then just let him have them. It will likely make the game more interesting for you. Plus, if he does happen to beat the heck out of you then you can blame it on his extra points smile.gif.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

One possible thing to try for adjusting play balance would be to change units from one type to another.

For example, you could try (in the USMC Capture the Flag game) changing the M1A2s to M60A3s, or perhaps turning the T80s into T80-ATGMs.

In the US Army Capture the Flag game, one subtle change that can really adjust the balance is to change the on-map OPFOR 122mm SP arty into 152mm SP arty, which can then fire ICM ammo.